Issue with Hamilton 661 Rotor

Paul Raposo

Nov 4, 2005
Cambridge, ON Canada
whatdoesyourwatchsay.blogspot.com
Country
Region
Hey all.

I picked up an old Hamilton automatic with the 661 caliber (base Certina 28.45 movement). The watch was winding and the rotor turning freely, but I noticed either lint or hair under the rotor that I couldn't remove.

I moved the rotor lock spring and lifted off the rotor and removed the debris and replaced the rotor. Now the rotor is stiff to turn. It won't swing freely on it's own and when I push it with a toothpick it's pretty stiff to move.

I hand wound the movement so I don't know if the wound mainspring is causing the rotor to be stiff to turn, but I don't think that's the issue.

What did I do wrong?

DSCN8755.JPG DSCN8754.JPG DSCN8756.JPG

Randy Beamer

Jul 5, 2011
Davenport Washington
Country
Region
Hi Paul.
You don't state that you also scrubbed all the "possible" gunk from the gear attached to the center jewel, or that you used new, appropriate lubrication when you reattached the oscillating weight ?
Just the simple things to think about ?

Randy

Reactions: Paul Raposo

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Either me or the watch seem to be missing something. I see two, what look like, screw holes on opposite sides of the opening for the rotor's winding gear. What goes into them? It looks like the rotor just tab-locks onto the automatic winding bridge. I just can't figure those holes. Am I daft? (Rhetorical question.) Thanks and good luck.

Reactions: Paul Raposo

Paul Raposo

Nov 4, 2005
Cambridge, ON Canada
whatdoesyourwatchsay.blogspot.com
Country
Region
Well, I figured out what the issue was.

After I removed the rotor I noticed the two automatic cassette screws (near the balance wheel) were a little loose, so I tightened them. They were loose because whoever worked on this watch before I got it didn't get the two gear pivots into their plate holes so they were grinding on the plate when I tightened the screws. Rather than fix their work, they just left the screws loose :rolleyes:

I removed the automatic assembly and spent two hours getting everything lined up.

The rotor now spins correctly, however in the process of trying to get everything back together I lost the bushings on the two pivots, so now they're floating around free.

At least i think there were bushings in the holes, I can't remember and can't tell from my picture.

Reactions: Randy Beamer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rog
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner