ISO Marine Chronometer Restoration Referral

FloridaLou

May 26, 2008
ISO Marine Chronometer Restoration Referral

Hello All,

I recently bought a Heath & Co Limited (New Eltham London S.E.) Hezzanith Chronometer.

I am looking for an expert to restore this chronometer.

I intend to clean the brass myself and wax the mahogany box.

It has a fusse [sic?] movement and the works appear to need some work.

I wonder if it is worth having restored?

It appears to have all the hands except one and is missing a couple of gears.

The faceplate has the number 27882 on the front and the number 10210 on the other side (inside) and on other parts of the chronometer.

Any idea as to the age of this clock?

Here are some photos of the chrononmeter.

Thanks all

Lou
Mount Dora FL 32757

hc1.jpg

hc2.jpg

hc3.jpg

hc4.jpg

hc5.jpg

hc6.jpg

hc7.jpg

hc8.jpg

hc9.jpg

hc10.jpg

shutterbug

NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Absolutely worth fixing ..... but it's going to be quite a project! You're going to have to find a clockmaker capable of cutting gears who has or can get an identical clock to copy from. I'd expect to pay quite a bit for that kind of repair, and that alone might answer your question as to worth (which is different than value). Worst case - those types of clocks sell easily, and an honest presentation on Ebay might surprise you :)

Robert M.

Nov 20, 2004
Try this fella Lou.He's pretty well up there.As a matter of fact he may haved passed on but I can't say for sure.I have talked to him at the Phila. Chapter #1 marts and have seen his work.Definitely first class work and everyone who knows him speaks quite highly of him.Mr.Connor specializes in British Chronometers like Mercer,etc..Give him a try.
J.P. Connor & Co.
Marine Chronometers
Devon,Pa.
(610) 644-1474
Fax (610) 993-0760

Bob Fullerton

Richmccarty

Sep 3, 2007
I can't really tell from the back plate photo, but is the escapement detent missing? The detent is an extermely delicate and important part of the chronomter escapement. The cost of replacement I believe would be about $3-4K, although Jim would know for sure if he's not completely retired yet. The cost of replacing a broken detent is the main reason why many chronometers are not running.

Good luck,

Rich McCarty, GradBHI & West Dean College
http://www.restoredclocks.com

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Is the chain broken?

If the detent is not destroyed... uninformed mishandling will put it at great risk.

I would think the restoration cost could easily exceed the value of like chronometers.

Ralph

FloridaLou

May 26, 2008
Hello,
What is an escapement detent?
Thanks
Lou

I can't really tell from the back plate photo, but is the escapement detent missing? The detent is an extermely delicate and important part of the chronomter escapement. The cost of replacement I believe would be about $3-4K, although Jim would know for sure if he's not completely retired yet. The cost of replacing a broken detent is the main reason why many chronometers are not running.

FloridaLou

May 26, 2008
Hi,
I did some research and yes it has the
escapement detent. However, the spring is somewhat rusty
and it does not spring back and forth as one might hope.
Thanks everyone your input.
Lou

What is an escapement detent?

FloridaLou

May 26, 2008
Hi,

Is the chain broken?

Yes, the chain is broken in a few spots.

If the detent is not destroyed... uninformed mishandling will put it at great risk.

Please define destroyed.

I would think the restoration cost could easily exceed the value of like chronometers.

What is the value of such a chronometer?

Thanks again for your feedback.

Lou

shutterbug

NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
FloridaLou said:
Hi,

Is the chain broken?

Yes, the chain is broken in a few spots.

Please define destroyed.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Lou
Lou - here's a couple of tips for quoting previous posts. This part is your full post with my comments added afterward. I just hit "reply" under your name in the post and said "yes" to the question. Then just type under what appears in the message.

This though, is a partial quote:
I did that with cut and paste and the required quote instruction around it. Here's how it looks: (quote)What is the value of such a chronometer?(/quote) but use brackets, not parenthesis. By the way, we're not allowed to quote prices on the board. :)

Jeff Salmon

Apr 11, 2002
This is going to be very expensive. I bet the balance pivots and others are corroded, the balance spring is useless, other steel parts will need replacement and/or refinishing, mainspring probably. Get this clock to a real expert to get an accurate estimate and be patient. It will take a lot of work. Good luck.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waynebernelli
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool