Isaac Larpent, Copenhagen

Jerzy Ganczarczyk

Feb 25, 2003
I am trying to get some more detailed information on this Danish watch maker, than only a few partially questionable words provided on the subject in the new Loomes List. Larpent certainly worked for a period longer than three decades before he joined forces with Juergensen. How many and what kind of watches and clocks he produced under his own name, and how can they be dated? Who were his case makers and what style of cases he used? Because of Larpent's importance for Scandinavian watch making, some studies on this subject certainly were made, but they are not broadly known. Till now, I was successful to find only one specific paper on Larpent, but technically it was not very informative (J. Knap, Antiqu. Horol., No. 6, Vol. 8, March 1974). Any help in this research would be greatly appreciated.

astonvilla

Jun 3, 2001
Country
ISAAC LARPENT was born 29 may 1711 -died 6 july 1788.
He was the son of a french wig-maker (Pierre Larpent).
Isaac`s parents moved to Bergen (Norway) in 1711 (because of the plague),were Isaac was born. When his father died in 1720 , mother and son moved to Copenhagen. At age 12 he started his training as a watchmaker with Isaac Beaupoil. His training lasted 8 years , and he bacame a master in 1745. He had two sons (Pierre Antoine b.1760 and Isaac b 1761).
Isaac Larpent and Jorgen jurgensen founded the company Larpent & Jurgensen in 1773.
Larpent produced watches before he joined with Jurgensen. I would guess ca 150 time-pieces. There is a picture of s Isaac Larpent pocket watch no 104(1755) in the new Jurgensen book by John Knudsen(were i got this information). A english version of this book is on the way.

Jerzy Ganczarczyk

Feb 25, 2003
Hakonrs,

Thank you for your note. Most of the information provided was already known to me, but there are in it some points new to me. Could you direct me to a technical study, which would analyze Larpent watchmaking techniques? I know that his watches were mostly done in the English style, but it seems that they differ somewhat from English watches of the period. I think that I even could guess/understand a work on the subject written in one of the Scandinavian languages. In the early 60's I traveled several times to Sweden and at that time learn to communicate with some 'locals'.