Is this worth restoring?

Rabaks

Feb 6, 2015
Country
I was given this Waterbury for free by a friend clearing a house. Since it needs so many parts I was looking for advice as to whether it is worth restoring or is it too far gone and only useful for spare parts. As I see it, it needs various pendulum parts and weights. The case is OK and is 26 inches

Anyone have an idea of its age?

Thanks

W1.jpg W2.jpg W3.jpg W4.jpg W5.jpg

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi,

Others more knowledgeable on American clocks than I will likely be along shortly with more precise information, but your clock dates to roughly 1870, and imagine it would originally have had a reverse painted tablet on the lower glass, later replaced by a clear piece. It is certainly worth restoring, but not getting it done by a professional as it would outweigh the market value of the clock - ogees of this type aren’t particularly rare or particularly expensive, especially when they are sold incomplete or for restoration. Do you want to take on the project yourself? It is a perfect movement to learn on - the parts needed are relatively inexpensive and easy to source on Ebay or Timesavers, the weights may be the most costly of the lot. If you have no interest in restoring it yourself, just sell it as is and certainly do not part it out, which would be rather a shame.

Regards.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
It would have to be a 'labor of luv' ... Restorations on low value clocks will never make sense from a monetary point of view. Willie X

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
It would have to be a 'labor of luv' ... Restorations on low value clocks will never make sense from a monetary point of view. Willie X....

but You have ideal conditions to start with: all main parts are there : case (nice!) movement,dial,hands.The label is relative good. A nice project for "covid-19-days!"
Burkhard

Reactions: lpbp and Kevin W.

Rabaks

Feb 6, 2015
Country
Thanks everyone. I am new to clock restoration so your encouragement is appreciated. I will have a go at fixing it.
Ralph

Grant Perry

Jun 5, 2002
Ottawa-Canada's Capital
Country
Region
Ralph,
This is a good clock to practice on, and as Burkhard noted, most of the parts are there. From the pictures it looks like you will need a suspension spring, a pendulum bob and weights which you have noted that you do not have. These should not be difficult to find.
Good luck!

Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2012
Greenfield, Nova Scotia
antiquevintageclock.com
Country
Region
Agree with the above, not worth paying the cost of having someone restore it. It is an example of something I would take on myself, however. If nothing else it has value as a donor clock for anyone collecting ogees.

Ron

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
It’s a nicer 8 day Ogee rather than 30 hour. You can look around marketplace and pickup a trashed Ogee for 10-20 dollars and sacrifice the weights/pendulums. The movement should be very easy to service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CatskillPainter
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff