Is This The Correct Weight?

R

Redmond

I bought a Seth Thomas mantle clock and I am not sure if it has the correct weight or not. The movement has 89 stamped on it, just like the other Seth Thomas clock that I have. Do all 89 movements have the same size weight, as far as how much they weigh? The one that I bought first, has a flat looking weight with a raised ridge around the edge. The one I just purchased, has a fat shinny brass side with lead on the other. It is an old weight, but it is double to triple the weight of the other. I was told it came from an Estate sale, and I am thinking they had a couple of clocks, and maybe put all the weights together when they moved them around, then just stuck weights to a clock. Just guessing since a correct weight would be so easy to obtain.
This would be easier for me to judge if the first clock was running OK with the weight it had on it. But I bought it needing work also.
How do you go about finding this out? I am sure that it is in a book somewhere that I don't have. Redmond

R

Redmond

I bought a Seth Thomas mantle clock and I am not sure if it has the correct weight or not. The movement has 89 stamped on it, just like the other Seth Thomas clock that I have. Do all 89 movements have the same size weight, as far as how much they weigh? The one that I bought first, has a flat looking weight with a raised ridge around the edge. The one I just purchased, has a fat shinny brass side with lead on the other. It is an old weight, but it is double to triple the weight of the other. I was told it came from an Estate sale, and I am thinking they had a couple of clocks, and maybe put all the weights together when they moved them around, then just stuck weights to a clock. Just guessing since a correct weight would be so easy to obtain.
This would be easier for me to judge if the first clock was running OK with the weight it had on it. But I bought it needing work also.
How do you go about finding this out? I am sure that it is in a book somewhere that I don't have. Redmond

bcaclock

NAWCC Member
Feb 20, 2001
Mt. Pleasant, Tx.
Country
Region
Hi Redmond, I believe you are asking about the pendulum bob not a weight. To answer your question the weight of the bob can affect the time keeping but it will not make it run or not run. I am sure they need cleaned, oiled and rebushed.
Bob

LaBounty

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 29, 2002
Mitchell, NE
www.abouttime-clockmaking.com
Country
Region
Just to add to Phil and Bob's comments...

The model 89 movements have the rate adjuster on the front of the dial. When the adjuster gets forced to an extreme by the customer, it will invariably get damaged and cease to work. (Bent teeth and all that.) So what do you do (cheaply) when you can no longer rate the clock? Put a rate-able pendulum bob on it to replace the non-rate-able one. The replacements I've seen have been rather wide and heavy to accommodate the centrally located rating nut.

So, Redmond, if your pendulum bob is rate-able on a model 89 movement, it isn't correct. But you may not have any choice depending on how much trouble you want to go to in correcting the rating assembly problems. How are you at gear cutting?

Let us know what you find out!

David.

LaBounty

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 29, 2002
Mitchell, NE
Country
Region
P.S.-

Your "brass on one side, lead on the other" pendulum bob would belong on an OG, banjo, cottage, etc...and is rate-able. Check for a rating assembly on the movement that is damaged and not working properly.

The "flat looking weight with a raised ridge around the edge" is more in keeping with what should be there.

D.

R

Redmond

First of all, let me say that I was in a hurry to get that question out last night because I wanted to know the answer this morning. I was working on the clock, and they called me in to work (supposed to be my night off :frown:) and I had to stop everything I was doing.
It is the pendulum bob that I was speaking of. I should learn to use the correct terms even if I am in a hurry! Sorry Phil for all the confusion!!
It only says 89 on the plate, and it is spring driven, with a slow and fast arbor in the front. I looked the clock up and it was made in 1913.
Right now, the clock looks fine as far as the bushings. None of the bushings are loose, and they look OK. And the gears look really straight and no teeth bent or any missing.
It does need cleaning and oiling. So that will be my next step. But I wanted to see what else was going on with it before I went any further.
It is off beat, and when I used that really heavy bob, it acted like it couldn't carry it, but to a stop. So I was concerned if the weight of the bob could be more than the clock could handle. But when I took the smaller bob from the other Seth Thomas, it did a lot better, but it is off beat, and it stopped, so I couldn't be sure.
Labounty, on the gear cutting, that part I haven't reached yet. But I am working on that. I have a lathe coming and it should be here next week. I have a lot to learn. Hopefully this clock will not need it, but that could be wishful thinking.
I will try to set the beat with the other bob and see what happens. Hopefully the cleaning and oiling and the right bob will get it going. Otherwise, I will be back with more questions about this. Redmond

LaBounty

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 29, 2002
Mitchell, NE
Country
Region
Hey Redmond-

You asked about how to find information on when to use which bob where. Other than experience, the best place to get it is "reading" parts catalogs. I'm looking at a Timesavers catalog right now and there are 11 mantel bobs shown, listed by manufacturer and mass (in oz.). There are two specifically for Seth Thomas, #10219 and #10290, and a universal that could be used as well, #10213. Of course, that is assuming your adjuster is working properly and the little pinions of the adjuster that turn everything don't have bent leaves. If it isn't working and is beyond your current abilities to repair, I've seen bob #10238 used since it is adjustable. (The #'s are Timesavers' order numbers.)

Good luck with it!

David.

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
I have seen and worked on a lot of Seth Thomas clocks, with 89 movements. most are non- adjustable, some gold colored, some lead colored, none with brass like you describe. I have found some with adjustable lead that appear to be original, and also have f&s adjustments through the dial for fine adjustment.

Larry Pearson, FNAWCC #35863 L138
candidate for Director

R

Redmond

Phil,I will start adjusting the beat with the suspension spring and hope that it will correct the problem. When I opened up the back, I could tell a mouse had been hanging out inside of it with deposts and a bit of fuzz. But other than that, it is in good shape. A good cleaning may be needed before it will run.
David, I am looking at my Timesavers at the Pendulum bobs you spoke of. Actually, the pendulum bob that I am using looks like the Ingrahm one. I am noticing that they are all different weights. Even the two that are listed as Seth Thomas. I will order a couple to see which one works the best, then I may need the other in the future. So far, it looks like the adjuster does work since the gears do turn. Redmond

R

Redmond

Yesterday, I put the lighter weight-pendulum bob on the clock, set the beat , and when I got in this morning, it was still running. I noticed that the hammer tail was bent below the pins, and it couldn't lift the hammer up. I bent it enough to where it would make contact. So now the time and strike train are both working. Now to get it cleaned up and oiled. The heavier pendulum bob just was more than it could take. I will take it tomorrow and see exactly how much it does weigh. Redmond

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CatskillPainter
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff