Is this repairable?

ralph1

Mar 14, 2015
Country
Region
Hello all
I bought this watch , It had a old dead battery in it that was starting to leak some not alot of oil of some sort. not badly though . So I bought another 371 battery but no go, it didn't work.
The watch is I believe from the 1970's what would it take to get it running again, it's a nice looking watch!
The movement is a Ronda
Thank

20210328_161734[1].jpg 20210328_161646[1].jpg

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Two things as a first in the steps. Clean the residue off and neutralize the acids on the contacts. That's the first.
The second is if you are going to try fitting the battery without testing the watch, take note that the orange plastic insulator is properly in place and then take care not to push the negative contact out of the way while inserting the battery. Indeed if care is not taken, the negative terminal may break off entirely.
On these Ronda/Harley movements, this is commonly seen when batteries are fitted by users and even shop assistants.
The watch definitely cannot work if the residues are still on the contacts and if the insulator is missing. It commonly falls out all by itself. The way the battery slides in, can catch on the negative terminial and bend it out of the position which can lead to it breaking off if care is not taken.

If the circuit tests as dead, a new Ronda movement will only set you back around $10.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave T

ralph1

Mar 14, 2015
Country
Region
Two things as a first in the steps. Clean the residue off and neutralize the acids on the contacts. That's the first.
The second is if you are going to try fitting the battery without testing the watch, take note that the orange plastic insulator is properly in place and then take care not to push the negative contact out of the way while inserting the battery. Indeed if care is not taken, the negative terminal may break off entirely.
On these Ronda/Harley movements, this is commonly seen when batteries are fitted by users and even shop assistants.
The watch definitely cannot work if the residues are still on the contacts and if the insulator is missing. It commonly falls out all by itself. The way the battery slides in, can catch on the negative terminial and bend it out of the position which can lead to it breaking off if care is not taken.

If the circuit tests as dead, a new Ronda movement will only set you back around $10.
Thank you for your input, I found out it's a ronda 705 but it has no date and the only movements have dates . Will the movements with dates work in my watch even though i do not have the date?
I guess if I have to I'll swap out the circuit board and coil.

By the way I did clean the residue out and the contacts, the little hook on the negative is broken off, and the coil looks damaged too.
Thank you

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Yes, the coil is also easily damaged because people fitting batteries mistakenly believe they should use something sharp and metallic to put in the hole on the positive contact and subsequently slip off thus damaging the coil.
The date doesn't matter. It will still fit under the dial and in the case if the movement height is the same. Lots of times I've put a date movement under a dial with no window for the date. Then again, you could always cut a window. ;)
With these Ronda movements it is far easier to change the movement as the coils have differences and unless you can find the right one, you are wasting your time.

glenhead

NAWCC Member
Nov 15, 2009
Williamson County, Texas
Country
Region
It's WAY easier to just swap the movement. Esslinger has them for $16 plus shipping. While it is possible to disassemble and repair/overhaul that kind of quartz movement they're not really made to be worked on. They're made to be changed out and thrown away.

If you don't have the tools or skills to swap it, send me a PM and we can discuss it.

Glen

ralph1

Mar 14, 2015
Country
Region
Yes, the coil is also easily damaged because people fitting batteries mistakenly believe they should use something sharp and metallic to put in the hole on the positive contact and subsequently slip off thus damaging the coil.
The date doesn't matter. It will still fit under the dial and in the case if the movement height is the same. Lots of times I've put a date movement under a dial with no window for the date. Then again, you could always cut a window. ;)
With these Ronda movements it is far easier to change the movement as the coils have differences and unless you can find the right one, you are wasting your time.
Thank you ,I have another movement on the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Evocatas
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre