Is this an autographed copy of Glasgow

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Dr. Jon, Apr 8, 2005.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is the title page

The inscription on the right is three years before Glasgow's death so it is at least physically possible that he did sign this but he did not sign his name.

Any opinions?

2. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki National Library Chair
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Horological Bibliographer -
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    THERE REALLY IS NO WAY TO KNOW FOR SURE , IS THERE?

For me personally inscriptions like this are "frosting on the cake", a nice addition, part of the fun of collecting books, but not a reason to buy a book, or to pay a higher price for it.

Fortunat

3. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am hoping that some one who has seen a lot of inscried books of that era would know whether it would have been typical when signing over a book "with the author's compliments? would have written his or her own name"

I know it is today and I have an author inscribed book on naval history signed by the author to someone mentioned in the book with the author's name signed but that was from teh 1930's.

4. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki National Library Chair
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Horological Bibliographer -
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Using the highly unscientific sample of my own lybrary I would say that from those pre 1950- about one in four that appear to have an authors dedication do not spell out the name of the author but use a generic wording like "from the author".

I assume those were more complementary copies sent out unsolicited by the author, rather than "requested autographs" by the owner, and they predate more formalized book collecting, and general celeberity (incl. authors) worship that has developed in our world recently.

Fortunat

5. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks

That was the kind of information I had sought.

:)

6. Modersohn

Modersohn Registered User

Nov 15, 2003
    You could get an idea from knowing who the owner was and how/why he acquired the book-was he someone Glasgow would have wanted to send a book to?

Or, if you saw Glasgow's handwriting...

Jessica

7. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks

I was thinking the very same thing about the handwriting.

The previous ownership is written in the opposite side and I have not been able to get any information Arthur Rodgers.

There is some rubbing under that Arthur Rodger sugesting that perhaps a pencil inscription was erased first.

One discouraging thought is that some book collectors were fond of writing bogus dedications from authors to them selves so even with a signature handwriting is probably the only way to know for sure.

Some time I plan to request some handwritten material from the British Horological Institute (BHI) ot see how it compares but it is not a high priority.