Is this alabaster or onyx?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by woodlawndon, Sep 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User

Jan 18, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry folks, I really did try to search the message board for this answer so I wouldn't have to bug you but I'm afraid I'm still confused.

I recently picked up this Vincenti & Cie and now have it apart and I'm cleaning the case. But what stone is it? From the reading I understand that alabaster is soft, I can scratch this case with a nail if I press hard enough. The case doesn't seem fragile at all though and this beast weighs about 40 pounds. It is cleaning up nicely (although slowly) with a toothbrush and Gojo. The first picture is the case in normal light and the second picture is with a flashlight shining through the back door. Would you say that's translucent?

I'd appreciate any help. The movement seems to be in great shape and I'm looking forward to getting it going, mercury pendulum and all. I just seem to be missing some decoration on the front face, haven't seen anything close on the net yet.
    Don

View attachment 356267 View attachment 356268

2. Walt Wallgren

Walt Wallgren Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Bay Area, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Don,

With the veining in the stone, it certainly appears to be onyx. Alabaster is very white with no pattern and is almost chalky to the touch.

Walt

3. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User

Jan 18, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ah, that makes sense. I honestly don't believe I've ever felt alabaster. Thanks Walt.
    Don