Is this a watch chain? Slide? or what.

Fleetwood1976

Jul 2, 2006
Picked this up at the thriftstore today thinking it was a ladies victorian watch slide chain dealy, but the chain is 64 inches long, hangs past my waist. do you think it could be something else or would they double it up. It is mint condition 14k with enamel inlay and seed pearls. I was hoping it was watch related, but considering it is 33.4 dwt. of 14k gold for $5, It can be whatever it wants. :myhappy:

I would like to know its official use in history if anyone has an idea. I think it would look sweet with a tiny enamel 14k hunter case ladies watch hanging from it.

Attachments

M. Cross

Nov 18, 2002
Tennessee
Region
Looks like a ladies Victorian watch chain to me! You sure hit one out of the park with THAT price! :D

Regards! Mark

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
... 33.4 dwt. of 14k gold for $5...
I assume you bought this in 1958 and just found it again? :D

It may be a chain to be worn around the waist. I confess the style of chain doesn't look like that (they were usually called chatelaines) so it may have been worn as a double-necklace. The lobster claw clip (often referred to as a dog-clip) pretty much proves it was used to hold a watch.

Don Dahlberg

NAWCC Member
Aug 31, 2000
These were warn in two ways. First around the neck with the watch tucked in a hidden pocket in the waist seam. They would also double the slide chain up and wear it as a necklace with the watch hanging as a pendant.

You can see how women wore watches at this link. There are some great pictures of slide chains warn in both ways.

http://www.morninggloryantiques.com/JewelChatLadies.htm

Don Dahlberg
NAWCC volunteer

Fleetwood1976

Jul 2, 2006
great link don. I would say you could double this one and still hide in the waste. I can not believe this ended up in a thrift store after a hundred and some years of existing. My watch repair guy is gonna flip when he sees this. He allready thinks I am the luckiest guy in the world with the watches I bring him to overhaul that I find at thrift stores and yard sales.

now I am on the hunt for a ladies 14k hunter cased pocket watch.

Fleetwood1976

Jul 2, 2006
I have some family pieces too, like yours no gold in my family. one silver english mens that is cool though.

I figured up the gold today, $1764.38. I will have to keep it just to preserve it. I would get melted in a heart beat with gold this high. I doubt anyone would pay that for a chain for their ladies watch. I think I might pick up an english open face 14k for it. they are usually light on the gold and i might only Have a hundred or two in a killer display piece.

I am a history buff and This item just amazes me. what prominent woman wore it? I am the same way with guns and coins, if they could only talk.

CZHACK

Apr 28, 2005
Country
Region
Fleetwood - Nice chain. What marks identify the item as 14K gold? Mike

Fleetwood1976

Jul 2, 2006
CZ,

here are pick of the only mark, all other components tested 14k. I make gold jewelrey out of antique jewelry in an effort to save it from the melting pot, so I have some gold smithing equipment. Here is a pic of what I do with the 14k ladies watches I find at thrift stores and yardsales and scrap dealers. this is the one I made for the misses but I get requests for them all the time.

andy

Attachments

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
I think I might pick up an english open face 14k for it. they are usually light on the gold ...
I guess you mean Swiss, not English. 14K is almost unknown in English pocket watches, and those that do exist are all Swiss cases :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
36Colors
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre