Is this a Vienna Regulator movement?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Silver Forge Studio, Apr 2, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Silver Forge Studio

Silver Forge Studio Registered User

Feb 22, 2015
    I work in healthcare for insurance and a pension-
    Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Trash man called today- had some brass scrap and a couple of old clocks- so I looked at what he had and made a buy- all of it.

I'm new to clocks and watches- but not new to scrapping metals and haunting the scrapyards has put my name out there for any old clocks at better than scrap value (so I can amass a horde of things to "practice/work" on). Looks like its working- the word is getting out.

This movement followed me home safe and sound in a new box with fresh newspaper padding- it was living in a tote-bin with rusty bits of tools and broken metal bits- a real homeless shelter/skid row for clocks!

After a few search engine trolls and about 3 more than my limit cups of coffee... This looks like a 2 weight Vienna Regulator movement...

But that is where I am right now- I am un-knowledgeable and looking at Gustav Becker style movements- I have a partial match- the oil and pivot positions as well as the chime plate match (at least for style)... but there is no makers mark. So no way to know.

I do not think I have found a Gustav- just trying to get a good ID on the movement to gather intel with... and try to find out what "Level" it is:
    1- Beginner
    2- You need to wait awhile
    or 3- You better put that down... (As my dad would say).

Looking for thoughts, hints, tips, book titles, stray movements... Any input on skill level?

Thanks folks- be safe and have a great day! My daffodils are our and finally opening! Its FINALLY spring- WOO HOO! (now begins yard-work season!)

mystery5FRONT.JPG mystery4BACK.JPG Mystery3.JPG

2. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is three weight movement (striking Grand Sonnerie), made in Austro - Hungary in the second half of the XIX century (most probably 60-70'). Producer is unknown IMO, and chance to identify is very, very low. One hammer is missing. The movement was attached to the wooden seat board.

3. Silver Forge Studio

Feb 22, 2015
    Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tarant- thank you for the information! I would have to ask about the 1800's (XIX century) as I do not know ages- it does look to have file and hand marks along the parts- but how does one "Date" a movement without a maker

Pardon my ignorance-I am learning... and surprised it would be tossed out and yet that old!

4. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello,

Unsigned movements are difficult to impossible to date, because large numbers of clocks were manufactured by literally hundreds of makers in Black Forest Region for many years. Millions of Vienna regulators movements were made in 19th century - Gustav Becker company manufactured over 2 million clocks!

Designs became standardized so parts could have common from many sources and assembled in numerous factories in many small towns.

These were generally very high quality movements.

In addition, there were large numbers of spring driven Vienna Regulators.

Rick Ortenburger wrote a series of books on Vienna Regulators and including a number of German factory regulators.

Andy Dervan

5. Silver Forge Studio

Feb 22, 2015
    Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Andy- I can understand the economy of parts interchange being a factor now. And I will search out Ortenburger's information as well- thank you again.

Any clues to the skill level?

Im personally thinking this will be a "wait a while till I tackle it" clock.

6. Weight Driven

Weight Driven Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    personally you should put this one aside until you're comfortable working on movements. American movements, starting with time only then moving up to strike may be one way to go. These Vienna movements are very well made and have fine pivots, easily broken. Once you've mastered American movements then maybe move on to this. Be sure you know where the gears/levers/etc. go, take pics. Nice find, they bring good money.

7. Silver Forge Studio

Feb 22, 2015
    Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Weight- I have a distinct feeling this will become a full-blown hobby with all the serious addictions and repercussions of anything this involved... glad I joined this group to share in the addiction with! HA!

Understood about the wait on this piece- I would not want to mess it up.

8. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Silver you will find that movement is very well made and easier to get back together than many other clocks. I agree, work on it later, nice find.

9. Silver Forge Studio

Feb 22, 2015
    Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Kevin for the advice- my fear is the fineness of the pivots and me being ham-handed as a beginner. Although I have some experience with lathes- they are the larger variety (Rockwell 10 inch)... Im not ready to tackle the "itty bitties" yet...

10. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Amazing what you find in scrap, it deserves a nice case.

If it was single weight movement I'd say it would not be a problem servicing it yourself, I did one of my VRs, a Resch, a few years back with a little help from Scottie on the drum, they are relatively straightforward and there is of course no spring to worry about. However I wouldn't go anywhere near a three weight one.

11. Silver Forge Studio

Feb 22, 2015
    Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the feedback on the Resch JM- good to know if I ever run across one.

It does need a good case- and a documented build when the time comes (ie: when Im a bit more skilled).