• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Is this a Vacheron?

MartyR

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
Just acquired an interesting watch, which I think may be a Vacheron & Constantin. The winding wheel bridge has that notch on the left which is identical to one I have., and the main wheel bridge has a V&C look. It's a 21 jewel movement, and most important of all it has two Geneva seals stamped on the movement - you can just see one in the photo, and the other is on the movement back plate behind the balance wheel.

The watch has been dated to around 1890, and it's a PL for W E Hadlock of Boston MA, and the movement number is 49909.

It's clearly a top quality movement, but is it V&C ? 78893.jpg

Sebastian S

Mar 4, 2010
I don't believe it's a Vacheron right out, mainly because of the serial number, it is too low to be a VC. They did contract movements from almost everybody, so if the serial was higher it could be. The bridge layout reminds me of ebauches used by CH Meylan (althought of course they're not in Geneva so it can't be them). The tips of the bridges to accomodate the chaton screws is reminiscent of CH Meylan, and Agassiz/Touchons (but again the serial numbers don't match to their production numbers at this period). The thing that is not like any of the above mentioned is the swan's neck regulator, the way its screwed down and it's shape reminds me of Ekegren/Koehn movements... Or... could this be a Haas movement that employed a more robust ebauche than the regular thin ones?? The serial numbers square with them and they were in Geneva. The watch is a spectacular find! Congrats and thanks for sharing this here, S

MartyR

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
Thanks for the reply, Sebastian. It raises some interesting lines of investigation :) I like the idea of Haas, but mainly because I have twice failed to buy beauties at auction, and they are high on my hunting list :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sebastian S

Mar 4, 2010
Smaller Haas for comparison

Marty, Here's a picture of a Haas 9L that made me think of your movement. But as you can see the characteristic Haas 'notch' to the end of of the bridge near the jewel is different in your movement. At least we're warm to the ebauche maker! HAGWE, S 78906.jpg

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Calvin2020
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit