Is this a Gustav Becker?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Slavko Sremacki, Jul 31, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Slavko Sremacki

Slavko Sremacki New Member

Aug 11, 2010
    respected
    my name is slavko sremački and i live in serbia. I am a new member. please help. a few days ago I found a wooden box of an old wall clock in the attic of an old house. the box is in poor condition and has no clock mechanism. there are clear meanings on the back of the box that I can't really explain. I searched the internet for what the tags mean and I just found out that it was a Gustav Becker watch. can anyone help me find the meaning of all the marks on the watch and what year the watch was made. which is a watch model from the gustav becker catalog. very grateful, regards.

Photo7930.jpg Photo7933.jpg Photo7939.jpg Photo7942.jpg Photo7944.jpg Photo7945.jpg Photo7947.jpg Photo7948.jpg Photo7954.jpg

one1laner likes this.
  2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Slavko, welcome.

I am not sure why you think this is a clock from Gustave Becker, but the photos are not very clear so maybe I am missing something. But I cannot see anything which indicates Gustav Becker. Looking at the way in which the movement was attached to the case, I think it possible that this may have had a movement from Gebr. Resch, but others may be able to tell more definitely.

The mark on the back of the case is the mark of Adolf Stern. The company was founded in Vienna in 1887 and closed around the time of the first world war. Stern was a dealer in clocks and watches but also made clock cases into which he put the movements made by other companies. There is a possibility that Stern may have made some movements himself, but that is not certain.

JTD

Slavko Sremacki and one1laner like this.
  3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I have moved these two posts to a separate thread and deleted the now unnecessary posts in another thread.

Slavko Sremacki likes this.
  4. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you enlarge the fifth picture, you will see the letters G B. Perhaps this is why the OP assumes the clock is a Becker.

Regards.

5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Ah yes, I can just about make it out now you mention it. The photo is so blurred I didn't recognise it, but I think you are right.

(I see I added an 'e' to Gustav in my post. Careless - my apologies).

JTD

6. Slavko Sremacki

Slavko Sremacki New Member

Aug 11, 2010
    respected
    I thank everyone for the information provided, I apologize for the bad picture, if necessary I will make a better one. do you have information where I could find the model and catalog number of my watch. do you have that catalog page. I would beg you to send it to me.
    searching the internet for information about my watch I came across a watch that has the same shape of the markings on the back of the wooden box as my watch. here's the picture. even hanging on the wall is the same. is it possible that my watch was made in that period. on the site where the watch is sold they say: "Description
    workings case stamped, "Gustav Becker 151,066" "Medaille D'Or" with note to interior reading
    "Gustav Becker 151066
    1875 _____ 100,000
    1880 _____ 260,000 "
    ( first 4 pictures )

or
    a watch that has the same metal coat of arms with the letters G and B:
    next 4 pictures

please for your opinion

German_Wall_Clock_Gustav_Becker506_1(1).jpg German_Wall_Clock_Gustav_Becker506_8(1).jpg German_Wall_Clock_Gustav_Becker506_9(1).jpg German_Wall_Clock_Gustav_Becker506_10(1).jpg zegar-wiszacy-gustav-becker-530191221.jpg zegar-wiszacy-gustav-becker-kcynia-530191216.jpg zegar-wiszacy-gustav-becker-kcynia-530191222.jpg zegar-wiszacy-gustav-becker-kcynia-sprzedam-530191223.jpg