Is this a Gustav Becker?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by clc, Jul 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. clc

clc Registered User

May 30, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hi all.
    Can you help ID this clock?
    Thanks,

Carlos

63787215_1_x.jpg 63787215_4_x.jpg 63787215_5_x.jpg

2. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. clc

clc Registered User

May 30, 2017
    Country Flag:
    new2clocks, unfortunately I don't have access to get a photo of the movement.
    I am hoping someone could identify it from the attached photos .
    Thanks,

Carlos

4. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Could you take a picture of the gong block assembly? If you can’t get the movement out, maybe we can identify the gong and therefore identify who made your freeswinger. There should be enough room between the case and dial for you to take a picture of the rod gong.

5. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    To really identify the clock we'll need high-resolution photos of the movement and gong. German gongs were often made by suppliers and are not always indicative of who made the rest of the clock, however some companies did utilize customary gongs which were never leased out to others.
    Freeswingers usually came with coiled gongs which struck the hours and halves, sometimes quarters - rod gongs on these clocks were not incorporated until the 1910's when Kienzle and Gustav Becker made freeswingers with the Westminster chime. These are fairly uncommon and were displaced by the more popular and easy to manufacture 'box regulator' during the 1910's.

Regardless of this clock's maker, I think it looks very nice and appears to be well made.

6. clc

clc Registered User

May 30, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, chimeclockfan