Is this a GB???

Arcana Imeril

Oct 28, 2015
Country
Hi John, I purchased this from an antique store in Germany today. The dealer said it was a Gustav Becker from the 1920's. I have reviewed the old posts but, am not sure because the Serial Number (if I am reading it right) is way to low number and it does not look like a
date. Here are some pics. It is a three weight and there are no other markings then what is on the back of the mechanism in the picture. Thank you for your help.

IMG_0600.jpg IMG_0598.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Welcome to the board. Yes, it is a GB movement. The P number refers to the pendulum length.
I can't tell you the date but someone will be along soon who will know exactly . Going by the somewhat art nouveau/Jugendstil appearance I would guess at about 1900-1914.

JTD

tarant

NAWCC Member
Jul 6, 2008
Wroclaw
Country
Region
This clock was made in the year 1930. Has the "new" serial numbering, introduced in 1925.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
In the GB clock thread, John Hubby wrote that beginning in 1925 thru 1932, the serial numbers 0001 thru about 5000 were used only for 400-day clocks as well as spring driven Westminster mantel and wall clocks made at the Freiburg factory. There is another set of numbers that were first used at Freiburg starting in 1847 thru 1925. If the serial number of 3573 is in that range, that would mean that the clock was built in 1859. I think the various uses of the logo probably would help date the clock, but I'm not sure exactly how that breaks down.

Kurt

tarant

NAWCC Member
Jul 6, 2008
Wroclaw
Country
Region
John wrote: This new system was applied to 400-Day clocks, spring driven Westminster mantel and wall clocks, some hall clocks, and weight driven wall clocks.
There were no hall clocks chiming Westminster in 1859 :) This movement and case are typical for 20' and 30'.

Catalogue from 1924:
Obraz 1.jpg IMG_0600.jpg

Last edited:

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Piotr -

You're probably on the right track. I was just reporting what little I knew based upon what John wrote...he did not include "hall clocks", though.

Kurt

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Piotr -

You're probably on the right track. I was just reporting what little I knew based upon what John wrote...he did not include "hall clocks", though.

Kurt
Kurt, what Piotr is a direct quote from THIS POST where I maintain the most current info about GB clock serial number dating. I have included hall clocks right from the beginning among the four types of clocks that are known to use the new serial numbering system.

Piotr's date is correct based on the info we have available.

Arcana Imeril

Oct 28, 2015
Country
Thank you alot team. Its is good to know where and when my clock was born. I appreciate all the help!

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Kurt, what Piotr is a direct quote from THIS POST where I maintain the most current info about GB clock serial number dating. I have included hall clocks right from the beginning among the four types of clocks that are known to use the new serial numbering system.
John -

My statement came from a printout of your post but apparently you edited that post on September 30, 2015. I was unaware of the changed post.

Actually, in that post, you mention "some hall clocks" in one sentence. But in the next sentence you indicated that the following serial numbers (the list from 1925 to 1932) are for 400-day, mantel, and wall clocks...there's no mention of hall clocks. I guess that's what my reference was about.

Kurt

macaw

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2014
Minnesota
Country
Would it be safe to assume a Keininger with the exact same dial and nearly the same weights would be about 1924 also?

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Kurt, thanks for finding that anomaly, I recall having intended to say it was "confirmed" for the two types of clocks mentioned but could be used provisionally for the others.

Here is the present status regarding the 1925-1932 dating table:
  • This table has been confirmed for and applies to all 400-Day clocks made during that period.
  • This table has been confirmed for and applies to all spring driven Westminster and Westminster/Whittington dual chime movments made in that period, regardless of the case design in which they are installed. The two movement designs (but with different pendulum lengths) were made in consecutively numbered batches, and were used for mantel, bracket, wall, grandmother and grandfather size hall clocks. Note that the "Mignon" small size spring driven Westminster chime movements made from 1926 to 1932 are not included as they were not stamped with serial numbers.
  • This table has been provisionally confirmed for Westminster and Westminster/Whittington dual chime, chain & weight driven hall clock movements; more examples are needed.
  • This table may be used to estimate the age of weight driven time-only and time & strike wall clocks, however production of this type of clock appears to have been discontinued in 1928.
I will update my posting shortly with and give notice of the changes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdminter
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre