Is this a Bulle clock?

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi,
I got a very good deal on this little Bulle? clock last weekend, although it doesn't work. It was made by Ato, who were known, I believe for making electric Bulle clocks. Im wondering if this little fellow is a Bulle. Most Bulle clocks I've seen were on a base and under a dome (which I presume earned them their name, Bulle, meaning bubble in French). But they did have the same type of movement and a similar, (if not the same) dial as this one. So, could you tell me if this is and what makes it a Bulle clock? Is this one a rare example do you think? What's missing on the bottom do you know? Thank you so much for your always much appreciated help!
Regards.

Attachments

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Easy answer, NO. I don't know where you are getting your information, but it certainly isn't with any basic research. Bulle clocks are so named due to their maker, Maurice Favre-Bulle. Yours is obviously an ATO clock.
This thread will show you many Bulle clocks, none of which say ATO on them. Here is a link to a good ATO website for information in the right direction for your clock, made by Leon Hatot.
You will need a battery to run this clock.

Last edited:

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Hi,
I got a very good deal on this little Bulle? clock last weekend, although it doesn't work. It was made by Ato, who were known, I believe for making electric Bulle clocks. Im wondering if this little fellow is a Bulle. Most Bulle clocks I've seen were on a base and under a dome (which I presume earned them their name, Bulle, meaning bubble in French). But they did have the same type of movement and a similar, (if not the same) dial as this one. So, could you tell me if this is and what makes it a Bulle clock? Is this one a rare example do you think? What's missing on the bottom do you know? Thank you so much for your always much appreciated help!
Regards.
TTT, thanks for posting your new acquisition. As Harold has stated, your clock was made by Leon Hatot and has no relation to a Bulle clock, the only common point is they are both battery operated. While there are some similarities in their operating principle, the actual mechanical and electrical features are quite different. Also for information, Bulle clocks were made in a very large variety of cases and not just the ones with glass domes, their 1928 catalog shows 63 different models of which only two are the glass dome variety.

ATO also made an incredible variety of models, even more than Bulle. Your exact clock is one of those featured on the ATO website that Harold provided, as No. 122. From the home page, clock on "Gallery", then on "Art_Deco_Holz" and your clock is in the third row of photos.

I am not familiar with how the battery is connected in your clock, what I see in the photos is a place for a rectangular original battery to be placed but it isn't obvious how a modern battery might be connected. To get that advice it would be best for this to be moved to the Electric Horology forum for better exposure.

swolf

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2002
MA
Country
Ticktock,

I have one similar to your clock and fabricated a battery to fit the back. See pictures below for connections. I made the label on my computer based on the original battery that was in the clock when I got it.

IMG-20131022-00191.jpg IMG-20131022-00188.jpg IMG-20131022-00189.jpg IMG-20131022-00190.jpg

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Fantastic work, Swolf! There was no battery in my clock when I got it, and I'm not sure of how to connect one, nor if all the contacts are present. What do you think? I was also wondering how you made the case for your battery? Thank you so much!
Regards.

swolf

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2002
MA
Country
Hi TickTock,

I made battery case out of a piece of sheet metal but you can just use a battery holder. Make sure you wire it for only 1.5v. I wanted mine to look like an old battery. The contacts are the two spring clips on the top left of your movement.
contacts.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deeqdacad
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff