Problem Help Style Function Feature Is there some way to shut off the prefix and tag doodads?

Discussion in 'Forums Help & Notices' started by glenhead, Jun 28, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    For me, this new thing of prefixes does nothing but clutter the screen. It's much worse when people stack the things, as I did here. Tags at least don't make the titles bounce around on the screen, but I don't twit so they're not my gig, either. It is especially bad when people don't know where a timepiece comes from and add every possible country as a prefix. There does not seem to be an option to turn display of the danged things off. I tested the "ignore" choice on the "Help" prefix (knowing that would be a popular one); it made no difference in the listing display. Perhaps "ignore" is supposed to not display a post with that prefix, but the "Help"-marked posts were all there with the prefix displayed. I shut down the browser and reinitialized it to make sure it wasn't some sort of need-to-reset thing; again, no difference.

I understand that for some people the prefixes are a nice way to scan-sort. Having the post titles ping-pong across the screen violates my engineer straight-line ethic. Or something. Maybe I'm just a cantankerous old coot, too. :)

Is there a global option in the software where you can give people the ability to declutter? If I just missed where to turn off the display of the prefix ovals and/or the tags, please educate me.

Thanks for running this thing, by the way. (Seriously, thanks.) Sorry to add to your load.

Glen

Dick C, PatH and KurtinSA like this.
  2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The prefixes are a means of organizing additional topics within a forum. The idea is a counter to the idea of naming a clock company in a thread title and having all 300 examples from the company owned by members show up as posts in the thread. There is no way to have a rational discussion of any of the examples I don't really know the right way to address the issue, but the prefixes were worth a trial to me. With prefixes, the company can be a prefix and the 300 examples can be threads with that prefix.

The current rule for tags is that anyone can create them but they can be standardized. They are just like any other hash tags in that you choose yours personally or share them with your friends and use them to find posts that you both associate with the tag.

You may be able to hide tags. I don't know but can find out.

We could probably limit the prefixes to 1 and perhaps create standard abbreviations from clock maker's monograms for example. There always seems to be a gap between a concept and a useful implementation.

3. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom,
    Why not go back to the tried and true methods of separate WATCH & CLOCK forums and do away with all of this BS ?

It worked better and with less time consuming reading of non-interesting themes ?

I know this is a pet theme of yours, however you may be misguided but you will never realize it because you are convinced (in your mind) that it is a good idea.

4. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Jim,

Would you eliminate any of the information in each photo? In my case the empty space that it creates in posts makes one have to scroll more (on a PC with a 19" screen and a laptop with a screen significantly smaller). I would think that most that visit this board do not look at the information.

Regards,
    Dick
    NAWCC left side info.jpg NAWCC Top.jpg

5. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Dick,
    I have stated my position and can't tell from your post if you disagree or agree, ??

Yes, some info in each photo could be trimmed down to bare essentials.

My real request was to have separate forums for clocks & watch parts request,so I would not have to read everything or to try to figure out all the prefixes.

The old system wasn't broke and didn't need fixing.

6. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I agree with anything that simplifies the presentation and the manipulation of the posts.

7. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jim, If you had said "parts" I would have had an outside chance of knowing what you were talking about. :)

I think you may not recall what the parts were before that exercise. There was no real forum It was a long sticky thread that bangster maintained by hand. He did not want to change that, but it was painful to me to see all the labor and overhead of hiding and moving posts when parts were found and exchanged.

It could be two parts forums, but it wold still need some additional overhead to track which requests were still open and which were just for historical reference.Since the two forums need the same extra structure, it seemed easier to combine them into one with the ability to select the one you want to browse. I also heard from some who did not want to make a big deal out of which kind of pars since they were in the "parts" business.

Someday, someone might want to research the relative number of verges vs. escape wheels that were broken. The history of parts requests is an item of horological information that we are trying to preserve. I like to think of it more as what the next generation might be curious about than what I need right now.

8. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom,
    I really don't know where you are coming from on this??

Parts Wanted

This is the Forum, look at the top stickies and there it is... the same as it is now, however Cary Hurt & I took care of the Watch parts and ,whoever took care of the clock parts and it was vert straight forward and I didn't have to read all the Parts wanted request to see what was happening, and there were NO such things as Prefix Tags:eek::mad:

9. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jim there were actually at least 4 different places to look for parts and I was still getting dozens of message asking me to help people find parts.

Now there is one place to find parts or ask for parts values that allows someone interested to look at all the recent requests or to click a prefix on any of the threads to see only those kinds of parts. Why is it difficult for you to click on any of the little buttons that say "watch"?

upload_2020-6-30_12-14-36.png upload_2020-6-30_12-15-58.png

While this is about parts and how to organize looking for them, it was not the original question in this thread. That question was about the utility of prefixes and tags in general.

10. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You are relying on the people to tag their request correctly, so that is a Red Flag to me.
    Also you have Locked the Watch parts wanted sickie at the top, however the Clock parts wanted is available for request.?/ Why would that be?
    I prefer the tried and true way we did it with separate forums for Watch & Clock Parts.
    I don't want to have read down the lengthy list to pick out what I am looking for and add to this, that the forum has to be cleared each time or the request remain unread.

11. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Back to the OP's question....I agree that use of these tags can be abused and can be slightly annoying. If a set list, and limit thereof, or the ability to "mute" them by users is not possible, I would vote to turn them off for now. Not that turning them off was offered, but just my two cents.

12. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Pocket Watch Parts sticky is locked because I moved all the posts into threads in the forum and went to the effort of gathering all the posts associated with a particular request into a single thread. I also did that with a lot of the clock ones so there are only 49 posts left in the sticky clock thread.

I am frankly bewildered that you think it is easier to search a long thread for references to a random post in that thread than it is to look at the list of threads in a forum.

If you click on the screen shots above, you will see how the filter action works to convert the forum to either a watch forum or a clock forum.

I do not know if you have posted a parts request thread. The person posting in that forum must choose two prefixes.Watch, Clock and Torsion seem pretty obvious to me as parts classifiers and the others are the $ sign for value, open for a parts request that is open and question for a thread that is about parts but not a request for one. It appears to me that a lot of people have been able to figure it out.

I was going to put in a sticky explaining about "help" and "open" but have not done that. I notice that quite a few people feel that "help" is the default and do not think of a request being "open" like I do. I probably should add a "closed" prefix for when the particular request in a thread has been satisfied. Very few requesting help will think to change the prefix.

I really hated the fact that all that information about parts was being deleted and unavailable for study.

13. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am confident we can add an option to ignore tags in the new system. We can also limit who may apply tags, if we like, to only those who have shown the maturity to do so wisely. I am not really sure how to accomplish that though. We could have them apply to a jury of their peers who would decide if they were worthy to tag. They could then be assigned to the "tag worthy" user group. :)

NAWCC Fellows would automatically qualify.

14. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Personally, I don't think many people bother to look at the parts wanted area any more. It's a separate forum now, and does not garner interest. When there was a sticky in the regular forums, you knew when something new was added. I found that useful, and the old requests just went away in time.

Regarding the ignore function that glenhead mentioned above, that is used to let you ignore a particular user who you find annoying. So Glen, if you used it you might now be ignoring posters that you don't want to ignore ;)

15. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    It is also possible to ignore forums and threads.

16. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OMG! Did you see a recent post by salsagev in the General Clock forum? He used 20 identifiers...he probably used them all. :banghead: Looks way terrible.

Kurt

17. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    They’re gone now. Use of prefixes and tags requires a bit of discrimination and common sense.

18. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In that particular forum we should probably limit the user to one prefix only, to identify either maker or country of origin of the clock.

We should be limiting the use of tags to those who are qualified to use them appropriately. That will be a permission associated with an upgrade to the user's account based on the number and quality of their posts.

Prefixes should be used to identify which group of things within the scope of the forum the current is helpful to focus the thread.

Tags are used across multiple forums to create a list associated with some useful broad concept.

The abuses and misuses provide good feedback on what needs to be done to keep them both useful.

19. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I would also recommend some limitations on the use of polls. Too many seem not to know the use of them and come up some awful things that only clutter and distract.

20. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The General Clock Discussion threads are now limited to one prefix. A prefix is not required.

PatH likes this.