• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Is there a prize?

David Provan

Jul 14, 2018
Country
For being idiot enough to actually buy the Koma Mini below, to bring my 400 Days up to four. It has the usual broken suspension spring, seems to have the wrong pendulum because it does not go with the locking wings of the suspension guard, and of course has what I proudly claim to be world's worst base. It also has a barrel lid stamped '14', although the spring inside is 13.3mm.
More seriously, I'd like advice on whether the 213 gram pendulum, which does look like a later Koma, is suitable. I'll use it if it is. I am ordering the magic book, which may tell me.
Lori and John at Horolovar will let me know if they can find a base, but if anyone has a spare one I'd be interested to hear. Catch, of course, is my address in New Zealand.

20211118_135834.jpg 20211118_135524.jpg 20211122_164030.jpg

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
For being idiot enough to actually buy the Koma Mini below, to bring my 400 Days up to four. It has the usual broken suspension spring, seems to have the wrong pendulum because it does not go with the locking wings of the suspension guard, and of course has what I proudly claim to be world's worst base. It also has a barrel lid stamped '14', although the spring inside is 13.3mm.
More seriously, I'd like advice on whether the 213 gram pendulum, which does look like a later Koma, is suitable. I'll use it if it is. I am ordering the magic book, which may tell me.
Lori and John at Horolovar will let me know if they can find a base, but if anyone has a spare one I'd be interested to hear. Catch, of course, is my address in New Zealand.

View attachment 682042 View attachment 682041 View attachment 682043
The Komas I have (and I have several, both standard and miniature) do not capture the pendulum with the wings on the suspension guard. They merely stabilize the bottom block for transport after the pendulum has been removed. If you measure the distance between the plates, you'll probably find it's 14mm - they had problems with power in the earlier miniatures and overcame it by widening the movement so a wider mainspring could be accommodated. Cute little clock but boy, that base has serious stress cracks!

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Great looking dial and hands. I agree about the suspension guard. Just captures the bottom block. A spare base should pop up sooner or later. Just keep looking.

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
Wow that base reminds me of one of my Koma's... Its nothing but cracks but has remained together so far. Koma's manufacturing method must of created allot of stress in there bases then someone cleans them with ammonia and its cracks everywhere.

Wayne

20200123_144608.jpg

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
pendulum is KOMA original for sure!
Burkhard

David Provan

Jul 14, 2018
Country
Thanks, everybody. Looks like Konrad was too cheap to anneal his brass after pressing for the bases, hence what the military calls 'Season Cracking' with exposure to corrosion. When I worked in an ammunition factory laboratory the final necking of .303 cases was done after they were filled with cordite, so the usual flame anneal was impractical. In the lab we used to dip the cases in mercurous nitrate (don't try this at home, it's toxic) and they looked chrome plated. They had to last at least ten minutes before the necks turned into a mass of crumbling cracks. Just like my Koma base.

If I can't find a base I'll try to combine the top of this one with some turned walnut or mahogany, for a period effect.

Thanks also for the comment on the suspension guard wings, which makes my pendulum look OK. I'm still a little baffled, because on some post here I saw someone demonstrate how the slotted wings would perfectly capture the raised legs on the pendulum for transport.

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
the profile of the Koma base is not verry characteristic and was used over decades.You could be successfull searching for an intact base.
I have 3 Koma´s from different periods , all have the same profile and all bases are crack- free.
Good luck!
Burkhard

David Provan

Jul 14, 2018
Country
Re the suspension guard, I've finally found the image I was remembering of a Koma guard capturing the pendulum.

Further comments welcome - I'm very new to all this, as I'm sure you've gathered. Incidentally, NZ's Trade Me auction site has just started disgorging parcels of 400 (and 1,000) Day clock bits. I've bought one, which I hope may include a suitable base for this clock. But it also includes a 1,000 Day and what looks like another mini. From having zero Anniversary clocks a few weeks ago I now seem to have six, not counting the quartz one I stripped out to hold a little timepiece movement I bought in Europe.

Last edited:

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
David -

That was my post/pictures before I knew what the right answer was! Sorry about that.

Kurt

Ken M

Feb 28, 2009
Holiday, FL
Country
Region
Re the suspension guard, I've finally found the image I was remembering of a Koma guard capturing the pendulum.

Further comments welcome - I'm very new to all this, as I'm sure you've gathered. Incidentally, NZ's Trade Me auction site has just started disgorging parcels of 400 (and 1,000) Day clock bits. I've bought one, which I hope may include a suitable base for this clock. But it also includes a 1,000 Day and what looks like another mini. From having zero Anniversary clocks a few weeks ago I now seem to have six, not counting the quartz one I stripped out to hold a little timepiece movement I bought in Europe.
They tend to multiply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pavlin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller