Is there a movement holder device for vienna regulators?

Probox

Oct 27, 2015
Halifax Canada
Country
Region
I want to monitor the EW/pallet interactions on my vienna regulator movement. I cannot do it while the movement is installed up on the wall in the case. I want to view it out of the case but as you know Vienna's have the pendulum hanging on the back of the case. Has someone come up with a method to run the movement out of the case?

Also, I was wondering if anybody knows where I can purchase an EW tooth straightener? (yes I have pliers but want to be precise)

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Keystone might still make one.

With practice you can do as good or better with a small pair of round nose pliers.

The tool is better when you have a wheel that is totally craped out though.

As far as a movement holder, I just hold the movement in my hand and apply finger pressure to the 2nd wheel, while moving the crutch back and forth. It's easy enough to clamp the movement in a visen, or on a test horse, if you need to.

Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I rig up an upright piece on my regular test stand to suspend the pendulum from. You just need a post to suspend it from at the right height for the crutch pin to fit. A 1 X 2 inch board and a couple of screws works fine.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I wish Scottie were still here. All he worked on was Vienna’s. I bet he had a solution. I have a large one in my shop now that I’m having trouble with. I need the whole mechanism including the pendulum out of the case so I can see everything under magnification. This one mounts like GB movements with the four slotted studs. I guess I’ll have to remove the mount bracket and the pendulum hanger from the case and mount them on my wall or a secure board in order to do that.
Surely somebody out there has come up with a better way. Thanks for starting this thread, Probox.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
That might be the only way. I have a nice size piece of 5/8" plywood, screwed to the wall, for just such an occasion ...
Willie X

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
I use a movement horse made for floor clocks, I can use it for Viennas, wall clocks and even coo-coo's, you have to use "c" clamps etc., to hold them, never a problem.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I use a movement horse made for floor clocks, I can use it for Viennas, wall clocks and even coo-coo's, you have to use "c" clamps etc., to hold them, never a problem.
Please post a photo. I use one for lots of clocks but never a Vienna. How do you attach the pendulum and suspension set-up?

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
this was one of two stands my clock mentor sold me when i first started out. as you can see it will accommodate movements with pendulums hanging behind the movement.

for vienna regulators where the suspension spring hangs from a bracket attached to the inside back of the cabinet i will hang a suspension spring from the forks securing the top of the movement..... (see red line)

IMG_9539.JPG IMG_9540.JPG

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
btw... my holder will also hold the entire mounting bracket for a vr.... which means you would have the original/correct suspension block and spring...

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Bruce, my shallow mind cannot figure out how you connect the pendulum. Can you post a photo?

here are a couple of photos.... it's probably best to keep the movement attached to the bracket and just put the entire assembly in the stand, but i've also had success just hanging a pendulum off of a suspension spring hanging by just the top pin... per the photos. the advantage to this method is that you can slide the spring left/right slightly to put in beat. the disadvantage, of course, is that it's not the most stable arrangement... particularly with an inquisitive puppy around who like to nose-bump swinging pendulums

324r23t.jpg IMG_9540b.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
That's what I have. Just needs a piece of wood to hang from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steraser
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Forums Rules by Steven Thornberry