Is there a catalog of clock tablets?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by jboger, Nov 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Are there any references, possibly a database on this Forum, that catalogs clock tablets? I would like to see an extensive listing, if such a thing exists.

2. Jerome collector

Jerome collector Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Geologist, US Army Corps of Engineers
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I suppose the short answer is that I know of no such database or catalog. The universe of clock tablets is immense. It would help, at a minimum, to know what period (and specifically what type of clock) the question pertains to. With that information, someone might be able to point you to a resource that would help you in your quest.
    Mike

3. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Reverse glass painters like Tom Moberg and Lee Davis have collected images of original tablets so they can reproduce them when requested by customers.

They don't have databases, but they could provide guidance on what would be proper tablet glass for a particular shelf clock model.\

Andy Dervan

4. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    if you have relationships with them perhaps you could float an offer from me to create an easy-to-manage website where they could upload and show images... think it would be good to capture/collect/archive this info before it gets lost. you can visit my website at bruce's CLOCKS for a quick example...

i know for example that tom is not a digital guy... but he has family with mobile phones who could take photos and upload them.

just thinking out loud...

gleber likes this.
  5. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 Bruce Alexander, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    These publications from 1984 & 1994 might be helpful

51z8Iaqnn1L._SX387_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

516EuXqNyRL._SX398_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

There's no identification of Make or Model, just mid-19th Century Connecticut.

They are available on Amazon, of course. I acquired my "More Clock Decorating Stencils" from Crunruh but prices have gone up since then.

6. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Those are excellent publications but the focus is solely upon the artistry of William Fenn. They contain examples of his tablets & images using the original stencils (donated to the ACWM by his daughter). His work has been discussed extensively on the MB, too including a thread.

Paul Henion has written a good Bulletin article & started a thread about tablets using lithographs.

Do some searching around.

RM

7. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 Bruce Alexander, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  8. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
  9. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    My apologies to everyone who has responded to my original post. I've been occupied with work and other things and have not checked this thread recently. I see many people have responded with good advice and references. I will look into them.

Although this discussion is of a general nature, it was initiated by a tablet of Knowsley Hall. I have seen several such tablets now, and they are all clearly of Knowsley Hall, particular one colonnaded structure. My brother has been doing double duty trying to reconstruct the image on my tablet. He is now convinced that the tablet is not of Knowsley Hall even though the picture has the caption "Knowsley Hall / London". We know that the real Knowsley Hall is near Merseyside, so "London" is clearly a mistake.

Are there any known tablets that are completely erroneous, that claim, for example, the depicted building to be one building when in fact we know it is another? My feeling is that there is no such case, but my brother thinks otherwise. My question is of a general nature, not necessarily specific to my tablet.