Is someone screwing around with this mb forum?

Discussion in 'Message Board Help & Notices' started by David S, Mar 28, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David S

David S Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    All of a sudden noticed that the governance stuff is now at the bottom of my page , rather than at the top.

Something on my end? or or or :???:

David

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Someone complained about having to scroll past the Governance forum to get to the stuff he liked. So, it seems to have been moved.

3. David S

David S Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some ONE!!! and it was moved... hmmm, ok.

David

4. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 harold bain, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    Seems back to normal to me, David. Wait til you try to get used to the new forum software we are experimenting with!!

5. Bill Stuntz

Bill Stuntz Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I moved it as an experiment, partly to see if anyone would notice. It didn't take you long. :D And because I got tired of scrolling down past it all the time to get to the "good stuff."
    Since we're moving to new MB software soon, I figured why not? It's back now.

6. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bill, did you try collapsing it? :)

7. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What I would like to see collapsed are the "permanent threads" at the beginning of each forum. I'm tired of scrolling past those all the time.

Frank

8. Bill Stuntz

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 Bill Stuntz, Mar 28, 2017
    Yes - but it still "wastes" a vertical inch = 10% of my screen 24/7/365. And almost 25% if it's not collapsed. I'd rather have the stuff I actually USE at the top, and spot-check stuff that's farther down. The last post in any of those forums was >10 days ago. Why should I have to look at them (or just the header) 50 times per day as I wander around looking for problems to fix, etc. Scrolling down once per day should be plenty unless things heat up. Forums that change infrequently and are unlikely to contain urgent posts come pretty low on my priority list.

P.S. People who aren't NAWCC members probably don't have a clue what we're talking about. They can't even SEE the Governance Forums.

Frank, I DON'T disagree - for the same reasons. IMHO there are too many of them AGAIN. SOME of them are useful and maybe worth visiting more than once. And some are ESSENTIAL for people who can't figure out how to post photos - to name one example. But it would be nice if they could be collapsed after people know what's there. I'm hoping we'll be able to make that happen in the new software that we're working on.

9. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The sticky threads will be collapsible on the new forum. They will show by default to newcomers and we may require some additional activity level to get the permission to collapse them. It is possible they could all collapse to a single button somewhere that says "expand forums" or "expand stickies."

I think Bill is way overstating the scrolling issue since all screens will be touch based in a very few years and scrolling is hardly a problem with a touch display like I currently use.

10. Bill Stuntz

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #10 Bill Stuntz, Mar 28, 2017
    :confused: So how do you access things that aren't currently visible on your touch screen? I suspect it's equally true if you substitute the word "swipe" for the word "scroll."

P.S. I REALLY don't want to spend several hours per day holding my arm up at shoulder level swiping a desktop touch screen. My arm would probably fall off. That's why I've never even considered buying one.

P.P.S. I LIKE the first idea.

11. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Using scroll bars requires attention and fine motor skills that stretch the abilities of us elderly users. Swiping on a touch screen just like a telephone is a simple and natural act that can cover a wide area with moments effort. I usually use a gesture to throw the screen up or down and "catch" it with my finger when it gets to where I want it.

I also use a relatively long page length on this message board to avoid selecting next or previous page very often.

12. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Although I have a 23" (diagonal) monitor, the stickies in some forums consume the entire screen and I have to scroll down to see any threads. So what you are saying is that I will need to scroll for the next few years before my desktop computer will be touch based?

Do you know for a fact that stickies will be collapsible with the new software -- and stay collapsed if I log out and back in?

Frank

13. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Frank, you could check it out if you search for XenForo. This appears to be where we are headed soon.

14. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I'll be the contrarian
    RE: sticky threads
    They are good.

I've been on Forums for many years, and even ran
    one as an administrator webmaster.

People do complain when there are too many sticky threads at the top, but sometimes
    important threads can be lost if not pasted at top of the forum.
    After a while I don't even see them. It's always a learning curve for new people
    finding where the first new post is, but that passes quickly.

Rob

15. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You will be able to collapse the stickeys and all the forums that do not interest you with the coming system. We are actually having people design it who do this for a living.

We may require that you have obtained some status before you can start rearranging your forum view. For sure they will be visible until you have collapsed them.

If you want to see what this kind of behavior is like click on the little chevron at the upper right corner of home page forum listing.

16. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  17. Bill Stuntz

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Trouble is, I agree with YOU, too - to a point. They do serve a useful purpose, especially for newcomers. But they're also intrusive if you have to see them and scroll past them ALL the time. I'm STRONGLY in favor of making them collapsable. I HOPE that works. Out of the way when you don't need/want them. Readily available when you need them. I DON'T want to make them go away. Another possibility I plan to look into is moving them to another forum - maybe named something like "FAQ's & Permanent Threads" or some such. If you can think of a good name that will be VERY obvious to newcomers, I'm all ears.

18. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bill, I don't see any problem for the stickies to be collapsible provided there is a catchy title that would somehow intuitively let the users know there is good stuff there to help. Maybe different titles for different forums.

Also, what you propose about moving them to another forum "won't work" except possibly for general info and operations stickies. The majority of stickies are Forum-specific and need to stay that way.

19. Bill Stuntz

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm ALL for being able to collapse them. It may very well be the best solution. If it is, I'll be the first one to cheer! :clap: But I'm trying to brainstorm & throw out different ideas. With a little luck, SOMEONE's idea will provide the inspiration for a solution that's better than what we're doing now.

What about a single locked "FAQ's & Permanent Threads" sub-forum inside each affected forum rather than a batch of permanent threads that fills most of the first page? Whatever "Catchy Title" is chosen needs to clearly express what's in there, and be the same in each forum that has one. A FEW forums NEED to be fixed. Most of them don't. The trouble is, it's the most popular forums that need to be fixed. Newcomers need that guidance. Frequent poster's don't - it just slows them down.

20. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am in favor of compiling a list of issues and reasons why they are issues. We are hiring professionals who have already solved almost all the problems we can describe. Once they get going, we can provide feedback on the result. I think that will be a couple of orders of magnitude more efficient.

21. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    The real problem with any forum (that has been around for
    a long time, and has a lot of senior members) is that new people
    will always ask questions that have already been answered and discussed
    on the forum in detail. You want to say to the new people that they should
    use the search bar before they start a new topic. Or, you
    can pin a few of these popular topics to the top of the forum. I do agree
    being collapsible is a very good idea.

To the people doing the work behind the scenes here, thank you!

As long as you keep this type of forum, and not move
    it to Facebook, I will be happy.

Rob

22. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This forum will never be a Facebook app, but we will be getting users who want to Like it on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc. Someone who lives in those places and is comfortable there can easily be our ambassador to the more casual horological community. That will in turn make us more visible to those searching on Google.