Is Omega a "good" pocket watch brand? (Newbie)

qwertt

Jan 18, 2017
Country
I recently inherited an Omega pocket watch from my grandfather.
I really love the watch and will keep it for the rest of my life (hopefully someone will inherit it from me some day).

My grandfather owned four Omega pocket watches.
So far I've only been able to do a little research on pocket watches. It seems that when "good" pocket watch brands are listed, Omega is not included.
I've got some knowledge on wristwatches and know that Omega is generally seen as a quality wristwatch manufacturer.

Was Omega generally seen as a "worse" brand during the pocket watch era, than it is in modern times? Or would it be fair to say that the quality of Omega pocket watches relative to other pocket watches, is comparable to Omega's wristwatch quality today relative to other wristwatches?

Thanks in advance for your help.

topspin

Dec 14, 2014
Country
Region
As a suggestion, why not check the ebay Sold Listings for Omegas. This will tell you roughly what they generally change hands for, which is kinda related to how "good" people now think Omegas are. Then repeat for whichever other brands you wish to compare against.

As another suggestion, start a new thread for each watch you have. Remember to include lots of good quality photos (including one of the movement.) Include a question about how the watch compares technically or how it would have been market-positioned against others which were available at around the same time.

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Hi qwertt:

Welcome to the NAWCC Pocket Watch Message Board!

Just like other full-line brands (like Waltham, Elgin and the others), Omega pocket watches span the range from the very inexpensive to the the very high grades. If you check the references and other links in the [main="Omega"]Omega[/main] Encyclopedia article, you'll gain a greater appreciation of this. The watch pictured below is a high grade Omega watch (but certainly not at the top of the line).

In order for us to comment on your family watch, it would be helpful if you could post pictures of the movement (the "works") and markings stamped inside of the watch case (you can ignore any "hand-scratched" characters, they're watch repairers' marks), the clearer and sharper, the better. Clearness and sharpness is important as differences in makes, watch grades or case material markings can be subtle. Other pictures will help a little, but these are the most important. We may be able to identify it by the shape of the plates.

In trying to open the watch, you might find the information in the Encyclopedia article entitled "[main="How To Open A Pocket Watch Case"]How To Open A Pocket Watch Case[/main]" useful.

For instructions on posting pictures, see the Global Thread entitled "How to Add a Picture from your PC or Laptop" which is also listed at the top of the forum.

It's also helpful if you can post (i.e., type out) all the markings that are inside of the case and that are on the movement, especially the movement serial number, in case they can't be seen in the picture(s).

Good luck,

attachment.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mabailey
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre