Is my watch an authentic Robert Roskell?

Zombie Hunter

New User
May 16, 2022
Country
Buried in a lot with over 100 watches I find this? Asian forgery or legit? Should I attempt to have it professionally cleaned and serviced or not worth the effort? Thank you one and all.

20220524_200302.jpg 20220524_200322.jpg 20220524_200834.jpg

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Zombie Hunter,
Asian forgery or legit? Should I attempt to have it professionally cleaned and serviced or not worth the effort?
I've never come across Asian forgeries of English watches, most were perpetrated in Switzerland, but I guess there's always a first time.

However, I think it's a genuine Roskell, but it's probably been in a fire, and just cleaning and servicing it isn't the half of it. The balance spring is probably fully annealed and useless, the diamond endstone is loose in the setting, and goodness knows what's happened between the plates. As a restorer friend of mine says, 'anything is possible, only economics is the limiting factor'. This would cost many, many times it's monetary value to have restored, and it will still be a damaged watch.

If you have the time and inclination, (and the skills), you could bring it back to some sort of improved cosmetic appearance, but it wouldn't run as its makers intended.

Regards,

Graham

Reactions: Bila

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
To start your watch is a genuine Robert Roskell movement. When cleaned you will see it is a so-called Liverpool runner. The dial looks to be in good order too. Getting it done by a good restorer will be expensive, I would ask around among your friends if they know someone. Cleaned up and running it could reach about $150. The file below will tell you the age of the watch. If you have more questions, just ask.

Good Luck,

Allan.

Attachments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minister
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner