Is it viable to turn Strike Star Wheel with Spanners

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by ChrisCam, May 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, I have found old posts suggesting that if the star wheel is in the wrong position it can be turned on its arbor by 2 spanners, one holding the star wheels associated gear wheel to stop it crunching up the teeth whilst a second spanner rotates the star wheel?
    My question is how successful is this in practice? I am currently making some spanners and more than one size is needed.

spanner.jpg

2. John P

John P Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Male
    Looking after the cats
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Most will slip but some wont. Those will have to be adjusted by lifting the plate or moving the gathering pallet.
    Use care here.

johnp

3. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have rotated the star wheel on many, but I now try to set the position on it during assembly by putting it in its proper position while the train is in locked position. Like John says, be careful.

disciple_dan likes this.
  4. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'll try to answer your question with a question. Was the star wheel manufactured in such a way that the maker intended it to be moved on the arbor as a means of adjustment? I think not. As for can it be moved using spanners, probably yes, but as with many other things, just because one can doesn't mean that one should.

RC

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Usually the position of the star wheel is dependent on the position of the gathering pallet, and can be altered there.

6. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Everybody for posts, very helpful. I have among my spares several star wheels of different sizes and now with my spanners they all easily move but I take on board everything said here that some may not. Anyway a few hours on the bench drill and grinder I have now 4 spanners which if I use I will use carefully.
    Regards
    Chris

star spanners.jpg

7. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Chris nice going. I have made a set very similar to yours and always test to see if the wheel can be moved without damaging anything. Everything has risks. If the adjustment can't quite be done by adjusting the gathering pallet then separating the plates also carries a risk of bending a pivot. I prefer to try and move the star wheel before separating the plates. Simply my preference, others can choose their methods.

star wheel adjusting wrenches.jpg

Mine are more crude than yours. It always turns out that I need a tool in the middle of a job so want to make it quickly.
    David

8. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks David, actaually I was slightly in envy at yours which goes to show we are both proud engineers...nothing wrong with that.
    Regards
    Chris