Is it an antique yet? ... vintage maybe?

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by Jerry Treiman, Jan 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It’s a funny thing about having collected watches for a long time. When I started, in the late 1960s, I was only able to acquire a few “antique” watches (100 years or older), and they were English fusee watches. 1850’s & 1860’s vintage American watches were well out of my price range (especially as a teenager). Now, most of my collection is antique, without even trying! And the concept of “vintage” (50 to 100 years old) never even occurred to me, but is now very much a thing with wristwatches. My childhood Timex is now “vintage”. (8-year-old me must have had a small wrist)
    1st_Timex.jpg

This watch, below, is also just vintage now. A family friend brought it back for me from Switzerland in 1968. It was brand new, shiny, and of no interest to me, but I stuck it away and still have it today. Will “vintage” watches like this ever be collectible? It is about 16-size and has a privately labeled dial (Niklaus in Bern) and a 15j Unitas 6431 movement. It does retain some marginal interest for me in that “Waltham” (Swiss) later used this movement for some railroady-looking watches. I also keep it because it is nothing like anything else in my collection.
    cows.jpg Niklaus_m2.jpg

2. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm afraid my "vintage" watches are not too exciting. Here are two watches, made in 1918, that turned Antique this past year. The first one (nameless dial) is from the first production of Illinois' Extra-Thin model 12-size watches. It has a 17j grade 435 movement. The second, for Theo.Kohn & Son, is a 10-size Waltham in a patented case by H.W. Matalene.
    3268752f.jpg 5113f.jpg

3. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think 100 years or older is about right when classifying some thing as antique
    If you classify some thing as antique at 50 years that would include a few folk here
    I am 66 years old am not sure I would like to be called antique just yet

4. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Les, In the car business, you could get historical license plates at least. The watch hobby keeps me young. Anyhow, most of my watches are antique with a few vintage thrown in for variety. Wish I still had my Timex but it took too many swims in the local lake when fishing as a kid and the baking in the stove finally couldn't revive it. I didn't get another wristwatch until I was a groomsman at a friends wedding when nearly 30, it was a Pulsar which I still have and it still runs but probably needs a service.