Mechanical WW Is a broken set lever spring a common fault in Seiko caliber 54?

John T.

NAWCC Member
Aug 21, 2020
Lincolnton, GA.
Country
Region
Howdy,
I have an EB.. sourced Seiko Cronos with caliber 54 movement. Based on the ‘description’ was surprised to find set lever spring was broken and the set lever loose in the movement.

Curious if this is a common fault for the 54 caliber? Have had no luck so far locating a replacement part (#388-540). Have never run across this particular issue before......

See pic.
Thanks,
John T.
0CE33E04-5AAF-4FFB-B354-8D66D34CCBD5.jpeg 0517000A-A3C0-4386-A568-373EC035EAD2.jpeg 33546951-07C1-40BD-96A6-2DDA154E3F34.jpeg

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
One of the commonest issues in mechanical watches.
I'd say this part may be difficult to obtain.
Sometimes it is possible to alter one from a different movement so that it fits.
I've seen these soft soldered back together but this usually is a short lived repair.

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
Judging from a search for your movement it appears that a broken setting lever spring is not uncommon and hard sparepart to find.

I hope you find one, but otherwise there is a way of making a new. Use a hack saw blade and break off a suitable piece. Then drill the holes and start filing away. I have made a few setting lever springs and it is not as difficult as one would imagine. Just time consuming!

I have used diamond files not to have to draw the temper from the steal.

Good luck.

Reactions: roughbarked

John T.

NAWCC Member
Aug 21, 2020
Lincolnton, GA.
Country
Region
D63E6B32-A3C3-4A1D-A1FD-1BA25EFE5771.jpeg
Howdy,
I have an EB.. sourced Seiko Cronos with caliber 54 movement. Based on the ‘description’ was surprised to find set lever spring was broken and the set lever loose in the movement.

Curious if this is a common fault for the 54 caliber? Have had no luck so far locating a replacement part (#388-540). Have never run across this particular issue before......

See pic.
Thanks,
John T.

It does appear I’m up against it. Thanks for the suggestions. Currently don’t have the tools, materials, or skill set to create one from scratch. Hobbyist vs watchmaker abilities. Will keep looking. The watch winds and sets for bench purposes and does run. Has donor potential I suppose.

Suggestions did make me look at a variant part for that movement type that looks close enough to use? Doubt it will be any easier to find but progress none the less.(see pic)

If you come across a lead please give me a shout. I listed it in the wtb forum as well.
D63E6B32-A3C3-4A1D-A1FD-1BA25EFE5771.jpeg

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
While it may look similar. The exactness may well not. The only way to know is to measure everything or to make a shadow template and compare any similar looking coverplates that you do have. The FHF 72 is also looking quite similar.
However, cover plates or setting lever springs are an individual ID feature of watch movements. Thus they may never be exactly the same. This aside, some may be close enough to file a bit off or drill a new hole in. The important part is that it needs to cover the parts in much the same way and provide the correct spring angle.

John T.

NAWCC Member
Aug 21, 2020
Lincolnton, GA.
Country
Region
While it may look similar. The exactness may well not. The only way to know is to measure everything or to make a shadow template and compare any similar looking coverplates that you do have. The FHF 72 is also looking quite similar.
However, cover plates or setting lever springs are an individual ID feature of watch movements. Thus they may never be exactly the same. This aside, some may be close enough to file a bit off or drill a new hole in. The important part is that it needs to cover the parts in much the same way and provide the correct spring angle.
Like they say, close only counts in horse shoes. I imagine Seiko would fall into that individual I.D. Class. You could probably make it work but lottery odds on it panning out for me most likely. I may just put it aside for awhile and ultimately put it up as a donor parts watch. With the evident scarcity of parts available for this caliber likely someone is searching for the other parts it contains. I don’t really know yet what else may come up that I may need, and start the cycle all over again. Such is life. Appreciate the advice.

Might be a good project for YOU! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fed1984
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre