Introducing my KIENZLE, with a temperature compensated pendulum.

DieteR

Sep 18, 2008
Country
Region
Hello

A few weeks ago I aquired a KIENZLE clock with a temperature compensating pendulum.
As can be seen in the photos, the pendulum was unfortunately no longer complete.

In the last photo, the pendulum is optically like the original.
My statement focuses on "optically".

Since the effect of temperature compensation has never really been proven, I forego this function.
The main reason, however, is that I don't want to stay that highly toxic mercury in my house,
in that fragile glass tube.
My solution is to replace the mercury with a polished V2A steel. As a kind of optical fake, as You see.
At the same time, I also replaced the glass tube, by a plastic hose.

Now this pendulum poses no danger, when falling into wrong hands and maybe to the ground.

Incidentally, both the clock and the pendulum have stamped serial numbers that are close together.
123518 and 123584

DieteR

DSCI2120.JPG DSCI2121.JPG DSCI2126.JPG DSCI2129.JPG DSCI2147.JPG

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Dieter, thanks very much for posting your clock!! Based on the serial number it was made near the beginning of 1913, together with several other clocks having this pendulum.

Your "new" tubes are very well done; the pendulum appears to be original with mercury.

The mismatched serial numbers between the movement and the pendulum aren't all that unusual. I have 18 of these pendulums recorded in my Kienzle database; 11 have matching numbers, 5 have mismatched numbers but in the correct serial number range, and 2 have no serial number. The ones with no serial numbers are likely to have been sold at a dealer as an added option.

These were patented in 1911 by Andreas Huber, and the very large majority of the ones documented are with Kienzle clocks. I have yet to find any of these with a matching serial number to any maker other than Kienzle.

DieteR

Sep 18, 2008
Country
Region
John, thank you

Is there a way to take a look at your database?
You may be missing some serial numbers from my collection.
I would like to check that.

DieteR

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Dieter, for which makers? I have individual databases for each maker. Perhaps I can extract just the serial number series with the back plate numbers, although for GB it is quite a large number. Just for general interest I am posting here a copy of my data for GB 400-Day Clocks for 1931 and 1932.
[pdf]570779[/pdf]
You will need to download it to see. Each clock is listed using 25 characteristics (the vertical columns) with text and number/letter designations for which ones are found with the clock. The following entries are truncated so the spreadsheet won't be too big to handle: Base Type (description), Logo description, Source. These can be seen in full only in the actual spreadsheet.

Attachments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eeclone
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre