• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Barr & Poole Intro to Barr electric cleaning and setting

Chris

NAWCC Business
Nov 4, 2001
Ellsworth, Maine
clocksbychristopher.com
Country
Region
Ok, I just got my first Barr electric (battery) clock at auction today. As usual, someone left batteries in it and the contacts were corroded. I washed it all out with baking soda and water and sanded the contacts down. It now works and impulses, but after only 13 to 16 oscillations, it impulses. I read it should be more like 25 to 40 oscillations. I've never taken one apart before, so what needs to be cleaned to get better impulsing? Thanks!

erngrover

Aug 6, 2003
Harrisonburg, VA
www.fsptime.com
Country
Region
I am no expert on the maintenance of these clocks. Sometimes I hit it; sometimes I miss. A couple of years back I purchased a book on Barr/Poole type clocks, but it was little more than an infomercial. It would be nice if someone could offer a step-by-step guide to getting these little gems back together.

Meanwhile when I come across a stubborn one, I end up sending it out to Dennis Kaye (www.dialrepair.com) in Cary, NC. My most recent problem child had a weak coil. Dennis has the ability/knowledge of either spinning a new coil or adding an amplifier circuit to the existing circuit to give the necessary pulse to kick the pendulum at the right time.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"May you always have Love to Share, Health to Spare, and Friends that Care"[/FONT][/FONT]

Hans Vrolijk

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2005
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
www.vrolijk-clocks.nl
Country
Region
Because these clocks are driven by the falling down of a gravity arm and the resetting of this arm in Chris' clcok is o.k. I 'am sure there is no coil problem here. Often these clocks run better after a couple of days. I do'nt understand why. Levelling is very important and you can screw down the two contacts a little bit, causing the gravity arm to fall deeper. Do'nt oil !

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conner'sClocks
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit