International Time Recording contacts needed

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by JimW, May 22, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JimW

JimW Guest

Howdy All:

Some time back I purchased a bunch (7) of "programmer" master clocks from an old friend who used to be the factory rep for Simplex.

They all need some work, most have ceased to run because of burned contacts.

Are replacement contacts available?

How can I repair/rebuild the old ones?

Any information greatfully received

Jim

2. JimW

JimW Guest

Howdy All:

Some time back I purchased a bunch (7) of "programmer" master clocks from an old friend who used to be the factory rep for Simplex.

They all need some work, most have ceased to run because of burned contacts.

Are replacement contacts available?

How can I repair/rebuild the old ones?

Any information greatfully received

Jim

3. gre406

gre406 Registered User

Oct 6, 2001
    Hello there Jim..They can be repaired..Photo or scan (if possible) or post dimensions of
    blades, blade point hole and diameter of silver point that is left..I have a box of them that might work or just change the point..Let me know..

Geo

4. JimW

JimW Guest

Geo:
    Could I just make new points?
    I have thought of getting some large diameter silver wire and turning a shoulder on it to fit into the hole in the copper leaf.
    Will this work? Have you tried this?
    Would sterling wire work or would it wear too fast?

Jim

5. gre406

gre406 Registered User

Oct 6, 2001
    Sure Jim......I've done it on many old "pinball" machines from the 50's and 60's..They are just rivets on the blades..
    I would stripe all contacts from junker
    machines just to replace worn ones..

Silver contacts as they are called, had enough silver in them to oxidize to black..
    I'm sure sterling would work well if you could find say, 1/8 or 3/16 round stock..but how many are you talking about:???:

I bet you could even find an electrical mfg
    that still makes these for someone, somewhere..

You might check with "Bally" or "Gottlieb" who are still manufacturing pinball machines and see who they buy from..Not too many uses
    as the "electro-mechanical" machines have all
    been replaced by computers...However some contacts are still needed in some parts of the machines made today..

Let us know how you make out..I think I'll go and play a game of "Pinball" on my old machine..

Geo