International Time Recording Company Master Clock at The Henry Ford

gstump

Dec 3, 2012
heritagemusicproducts.com
Country
Region
The International Time Recording Company Master Clock at The Henry Ford was the Master Clock at the Ford Highland Park Plant around 1920. I would like to build a replica. Are there any measured drawings or other documentation available? This is a floor model around 5 1/2 ' high.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi, gstump, welcome to the message board. I have a similar clock. What would you use for a movement? I don't know of any drawings with measurements of the case. I'm not sure it would have been a floor clock. Most of these are better suited as wall clocks, as they are rather heavy, and would have to be attached to the wall to secure them.

gstump

Dec 3, 2012
Country
Region
Hello Harold, Thanks for the reply. I agree these master clocks are not normally freestanding. The side boards are around 6" so the clock could tip over. I did a reproduction of a Benjamin Young, Erastus Rude Shaker Tall Clock and screwed it to the wall at the waist. I saw the ITR Master Clock today in Dearborn, MI and it really spoke to me. The molding on the base is coming loose so I could see that the side boards went to the floor and the moldings were applied. Maybe someone added a different base molding. photo3.JPG If the bottom rail is covered with the front molding then the door would not open and someone altered the clock. I am hoping this is actually a floor model. The width, high and depth would look great upstairs in my 1917 farm house. It is like a mini grandmother clock. I do not know what I will do yet with the movement. I just started this adventure today but saw some things available around the internet that could be reworked. I also might have someone to make a replica paper dial. Thank you for your expertise on these clocks. I am hoping to find a ITR catalog with the master clock models.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
IBM did make these clocks in a more typical grandfather clock case to be displayed in a lobby or office environment. Perhaps this one has had a base made up for display purposes. Mine is 65 3/4 by 18 1/2" in the middle. You can see mine in this thread:
https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?38911-IBM-model-16-7

gstump

Dec 3, 2012
Country
Region
I plan on going back to the museum to try and solve this mystery. The clock is from 1920. BTW, NAWCC saved my bacon when the kieninger movement on my tall clock failed out of the box. The rack was hitting the edge of the snail flat and the bells were ringing erratically. A post on the forum helped me fix it. I have no experience with movements. I am a woodworker who occasionally designs and build clocks. That post saved me from living in the dog house since I used household money to buy the movement.

Thanks again.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Glad we were able to help you. These movements occasionally come up on ebay, but they don't go cheaply. I suppose if you make the case, you could use a grandfather type movement similar to the Kieninger.
Keep in mind if you build it as a floor clock, you may need to remove some baseboards to attach it to the wall, if you don't give it a wide enough base to ensure it isn't easy to knock it over. My clock is only 7 3/4" deep at the base, including trim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmo309
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller