International Time Recorder

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Robertsclocks, Sep 19, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robertsclocks

Robertsclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Hello
    I have the dubious honor of repairing an old spring wound International Recorder. the suspension spring was badly bent so I replaced it with a comparable spring. It is driven with two very powerful main springs which are wound with a very large arbor which is twice as big as my largest let down keys.
    The problem is the clock runs two hours slow after 20 hours. The adjusting nut on the pendulum bob is at the top extreme.
    The pendulum bob is very heavy. My question is does this type of clock require an extra thick suspension spring? Would that make the clock run faster?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Email robertsclocks31@cs.com
    Thanks a lot. Bob

Edited to make the email address live.

[This message has been edited by Phil Schilke (edited 09-26-2002).]

2. Robertsclocks

NAWCC Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Hello
    I have the dubious honor of repairing an old spring wound International Recorder. the suspension spring was badly bent so I replaced it with a comparable spring. It is driven with two very powerful main springs which are wound with a very large arbor which is twice as big as my largest let down keys.
    The problem is the clock runs two hours slow after 20 hours. The adjusting nut on the pendulum bob is at the top extreme.
    The pendulum bob is very heavy. My question is does this type of clock require an extra thick suspension spring? Would that make the clock run faster?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Email robertsclocks31@cs.com
    Thanks a lot. Bob

Edited to make the email address live.

[This message has been edited by Phil Schilke (edited 09-26-2002).]

3. Robertsclocks

NAWCC Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Good input Doug. I have disconnected the rod that goes to card mechanism, and will monitor results.
    I forgot to mention another factor. When rotating the minute hand manually, it seems difficult to turn i.e. excess friction. Is that normal, and could that be the problem? Thanks Doug. Bob

4. Joe Gensheimer

Joe Gensheimer Registered User

Oct 9, 2000
    Hands on ITR time recorders are very hard to turn--that is normal.

5. Joe Gensheimer

Oct 9, 2000
    Just a thought--it is possible that a pendulum from an 80 beat ITR (Dey Dial-type) got put on an 88 beat ITR card recorder. That would cause it to lose two hours every 20 hours.

6. Robertsclocks

NAWCC Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Joe
    Thanks a bunch for your inputs! It looks like you have answered one question on the friction of the minute hand and possibly the question of losing time.
    Not knowing the repair history and having never seen one of ITR's clocks before, has put me at a disadvantage. It has a very heavy pendulum bob. I suppose I could experiment with installing a shorter pendulum stick. Does that sound like a good approach or do you have a better solution?
    Thanks again Joe. All the best. Bob

7. Robertsclocks

NAWCC Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Joe
    Since our last messages, I have cleaned and lubricated the movement. The problem with the very stiff minute hand has diminished where it probably is no longer an issue. Also, I timed the beats and this clock has 88 beats per minute.
    I have it running on my clock stand and will know more by morning.
    Thanks for your assistance. Bob

8. Joe Gensheimer

Oct 9, 2000
    Bob, does it run correctly now?

9. Robertsclocks

NAWCC Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Joe
    I think I solved the time loss problem (2 hours in 24). I cleaned and lubricated the movement with no help. The wooden pendulum stick looks to have been modified i.e. extra holes and other tell tales. Therefore I removed the bob and taped it three inches higher. Now the clock runs okay for time but I discovered a missing pinion from the lantern pinion in the #2 gear just above the great wheel (left side).
    My securing rings don't go large enough to secure those monster main springs so I plan wind them tight and use bale wire (several loops) to secure them so I can take the movement apart. Replacing the pinion wire should then be straight forward.
    Does this sound like a reasonble plan?
    Thanks for your help. Bob

10. Joe Gensheimer

Oct 9, 2000
    Be extremely careful with the mainsprings. I use stainless steel truck hose clamps. A number of guys have lost fingers working with those springs--really, really be careful and use leather gloves.