international master clock

P

phil australia

Hello America, can anyone help please with the dating of this clock which I recently picked up at a local auction here. It has quite an interesting going configeration of two weights as well as the electric motor. I presume the weights were automatically wound and were only used when there was a power cut. The electric motor is made by G.E.C. and the clock is made by I.B.M. It has an ordinary round pendulem bob. (not mercury) Any general information would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Phil.

P

phil australia

Hello America, can anyone help please with the dating of this clock which I recently picked up at a local auction here. It has quite an interesting going configeration of two weights as well as the electric motor. I presume the weights were automatically wound and were only used when there was a power cut. The electric motor is made by G.E.C. and the clock is made by I.B.M. It has an ordinary round pendulem bob. (not mercury) Any general information would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Phil.

J

jkatzin

Hi Phil,

You have a great clock! These came with either a stick and bob pendulum like yours, an Invar rod or a double jar mercury pendulum. The weights are lifted about every 40 hours by the GE motor. They should only drop about a foot before they are rewound. In the event of a power outage, the weights will drop to the bottom of the case, allowing for several days of reserve power. Be very careful when you service the movement. The main driving arbor has very small ball bearings in both the front and back plates. They are easy to lose.

There is much information about these clocks at the IBM website. Look in the clock corner...

Jim Katzin
NAWCC Life Member
AWI Life Member

P

phil australia

Thanks Jim, interesting stuff. It is certainly a heavy old beast and takes two strong lads to lift it. Any idea on the approximate date.
Regards Phil.

J

jkatzin

Phil,

I wish I had two strong lads with me when I put mine up!

These clocks were made from the mid 1920's to the late 1940's. A picture of the case and dial would help. Also, the model number and serial number might help.

Jim Katzin
NAWCC Life Member
AWI Life Member

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Phil, IBM made similar master clocks in Canada up until their time division was bought out by Simplex Time recorder company in 1959, after which Simplex continued to make these clocks until the 1980's. They were a very well made clock. Harold

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.