International Master clock I Think ???

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Ryan E, Dec 1, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ryan E

Ryan E New Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Hi Clock experts well I recently bought a Master clock, this is what I know The plate says International business machines Toronto 1158 Limited. Has mercury pendulum and is weight driven with motor wound. I think it is Identical to the grand master clock in the duke Library that always comes up when I try to google it! I can't find a way to date it or just find out more about it.

Any ideas ?? I found the IBM archives and their clock corner were not helpful for my clock

Thanks
    Ryan

2. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    #2 eskmill, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
    Hi Ryan E and welcome to the NAWCC Message board.

You will not be able to find very much about your IBM Master clock using the serial number with the IBM archives as the data there concerns only US made IBM clocks.

Some were made in Canada for domestic Canadian use and there is little searchable data on the Canadian, English and German made clocks. IBM sold the US domestic clock business "lock-stock-and-employees" to Simplex in 1958.

That said, this message board has several active participants that have or have had IBM and other maker's master clocks.

IBM sold lots of master clocks many are motor wound but the more common have magnet wound movements.

Most uncommonly found are the motor wound masters with mercury compensated or invar metal pendulums.

Help is here. Please post some photos.