Interesting "Waterproof" Watch case by Id Watch Case Company Mercury Watch

tgarnold

Jun 14, 2012
I just got this case in a lot. This one caught my eye because it is marked Waterproof and the case was unlike any I had seen. I could only see the watch from the top in the auction.

Now that I have got it, I still am not sure what it is. I think it is likely a prototype that was never made. It doesn't seem like it would work. The inside of the case is marked 1 and the back has Pat Pending by Id Watch Case Co. The Mercury dial is also glued to the front and there is no movement.

The back of the case has extensions that go between the lugs and the lugs have holes on each side where a tension pin is slid through. There is also a curious hole in the back with threads. I'm not sure if something else attached here, but maybe something to help waterproof the crown area since it does not have threading.

If nothing else, it is an interesting novelty. Also in the lot is another rectangular cased watch by Wellington with an Acme Hydrepel case which I'll put in a new thread. I wish I knew more about who these came from.

If anyone can find the patent or if anyone knows more, I would appreciate it.

WIN_20210209_10_39_19_Pro.jpg WIN_20210209_10_39_32_Pro.jpg WIN_20210209_10_35_13_Pro.jpg WIN_20210209_10_35_34_Pro.jpg WIN_20210209_10_35_51_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
There was a screw in the back which had to be undone to get the winding stem and crown out so that the movement could be removed from the case. These used to be called one piece cases though clearly they are not. They didn't have a snap on back or screw on back. They weren't really waterproof either. They had made an attempt to be more waterproof so maybe they thought it worth writing that on the case.
Mercury is a brand name that has been around a long time along with a lot of brand names that were owned by companies that cased watches under a number of brand names using common Swiss movements. There are examples of WWII watches bearing the name, Mercury by Seeland. A lot of the watch brand names were bought and sold over the years.
Riba is a newer company that seems to have the brand name now.

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 3.59.03 am.png Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 4.09.11 am.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lkleinow
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre