Interesting Small Ronson Pull-to-Wind Clock, Scottie?

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by l1k2gadd, Sep 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. l1k2gadd

l1k2gadd Registered User

Nov 16, 2009
    I purchased a Model Number 127, Movement E, Serial Number 930, Finish F/W, Ridgeway Grandmother clock from a church thrift store that I like shopping at locally. The clock came with everything the clock should have with it as best I can tell but it didn't run for long and the time (not Westminster) chime mechanism doesn't stop once it starts. The Westminster chimes work as they should on each quarter hour point. I removed the movement and I found what I think if a broken pin in one of the hourly chime assembly cantilever parts. I remembered I had bought a bin of OLD clock movements from this same thrift store years ago so I dug the bin out and started to rummage through it.

I didn't find any matching movements that I could borrow/rob the lever from BUT in the bottom of the bin was THIS clock.

I pulled the tab on the top and rocked the clock and it started to run.

Being it had the Ronson name on it I figured I would find all kinds of information on it but that wasn't the case. I did find one site where they sold a 1930s Ronson Scottie Dog Clock and the clock does have a similar look to the face. Unfortunately the bin of movements didn't have the Scottie Clock base in it. I thought I would share these pictures though since this may not be a very common piece.

Pull cord to wind, and it has been keeping pretty good time since I started it up. I don't plan to rewind it figuring the cord may not be in the best shape and I would hate to have it break off.

It has been quite some time since I was last here so I hope I got the photos uploaded correctly.

Ronson Pull Cord Clock Front Reduced.jpg Ronson Pull Cord Clock Rear Reduced.jpg

2. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting. So, when you wind it, the cord retracts like starting a lawn mower?

Tom