interesting marriage of young and old

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by pahel, Jan 31, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. pahel

pahel Registered User

Jul 26, 2008
    Country Flag:
    hi everybody,
    newly I purchased this strange combination of an old base with a newer movement, equipped with the old finial.
    I suppose, this base is much older, as it reminds me of an early huber or harder base ? what's the experts opinion on that?.
    Unfortunately the pre-owner drilled two additional holes into the mounting plate, which will be difficult to undo, the finial crown was just stuck and easy to remove.
    What potentially appears to be workable in human relations, it won't do in antique clocks so I'll discard the actual movement may be some day there will be a single movement somwhere around that can help to rebuild this clock.... Could you give an advice, which one would be appropriate to this base ?
    DSC00768.jpg DSC00763.jpg DSC00764.jpg DSC00766.jpg
    thanks in advance
    pahel

2. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Pahel,

It pains me to see such a thing. Hope you didn't pay much for it. The older base and finials are from a JUF/Harder clock from the 1880s like this one:

New addition: Harder

It looks like the back of the mounting plate was cut off too, which will be very difficult to undo!

I would look for a Harder parts clock that is missing the parts you have. The finials and the disk are most often lost. Any early JUF or Huber Patent Angemeldet movement is about the same as a Harder and would work too.

Good Luck!

Eric

pahel likes this.
  3. pahel

pahel Registered User

Jul 26, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Hi Eric, thanks for answering. the price for this "chimera" was just the price for a new glass dome, what it was purchased for. the rest is a free gift, reasonable price so far and nothing to loose.
    I just wonder, what happened to the original movement with this base, hope it survived this barbarity..
    Had a look at your new addition, I think it will take a long time to get such a movement and a pendulum without gallery, may be that will remain a project for the future...
    In case of success, I will post it here...
    greetings
    pahel

etmb61 likes this.
  4. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The search is part of the fun!

Eric

5. Kamil Urbanowicz

Kamil Urbanowicz Registered User

Aug 17, 2010
    I have at least two clocks that would really need this Harder parts (proper base and top pediment) - so please if possible contact me