• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

German Interested about the age ?!

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Welcome to the board.

Your clock was made by Friedrich Mauthe in Schwenningen. The firm had a number of very similar trade marks registered at different times. The mark on you clock is covered with oil but as far as I can see it looks like the mark which Mauthe was using around 1900. That would mean your clock could not be older than around that time.

The case looks to be in surprisingly good condition, but the movement is really very dirty indeed and seems to have been drenched in oil. It would need to be thoroughly cleaned and overhauled if you are intending to run the clock.

Please feel free to post any questions you may have - there are many here who will be happy to help you.

JTD

Royce

NAWCC Member
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Country
Region
This is the latest version of the Trademark sequence for FMS that I have. This information was researched and assembled by Oled.
1610553997051.png
This would imply that your movement is dated between 1902 and 1914.
Royce

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
The large size of the circle relative to the eagle suggests it's closer to 1914 than 1902.
Agreed, as well as D.R.P. N. 55006
I agree also.
I am a bit confused.

DRPN 55006 (the Kielmann patent) was issued in 1890. Why would this patent make the date closer to 1914 than 1902?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the flow of these responses.

Regards.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
I was only commenting the visual of the logo and the suggested timeline given in the post above. I don't know anything about the DRP date...that didn't seem to be a part of the post just above about the FMS wall clock.

Kurt

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
For me it was the fact that the patent number was shown on the back plate and this seemed to corresponded exactly to the eagle #6 in the illustrations shown in Royce's post with Oled's schematic. It seems that they didn't use the patent number until they started using that particular style of eagle, regardless of the patent's date.

Having said all that, the style of the case would have led me to suppose was earlier than 1914 and that is why I originally said 'around 1900' - but had not seen the illustrations above. I still think the case is a little odd for 1914 but of course some styles went on longer than others.

JTD

Reactions: lacho1674

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
It seems that they didn't use the patent number until they started using that particular style of eagle,
Understood! I should have looked at Oled's chart more closely. :)

Thanks for clearing up my confusion.

Regards.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kalleskaviar
Encyclopedia Pages