Interchangability of discs for early 400 day clock

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Weight Driven, Jun 13, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Weight Driven

Weight Driven Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    I have an early unmarked 400 day clock that is missing it's disc pendulum. I looked it up in the Horolovar guide and it does take a disc. My question is could I use just about any disc and with some experimentation with different sizes of suspension springs expect this clock to keep decent time? Thanks for any advice on this.

2. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In theory you can put just about any disc pendulum on an early 400-Day and it can be made to work. However, depending on who made the clock there are some "correct" pendulums, since most makers stuck to one or two designs for their clocks. If you will post photos and also the plate number from the Repair Guide it should be possible to identify who made it and then to pick a couple of pendulums that would be contemporary with the clock.

John Hubby
    >>>>

3. Weight Driven

NAWCC Member

May 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Thanks John. I will try and post a pic within the next few day. Again, thanks.

4. Weight Driven

NAWCC Member

May 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Here are some photos of the movment in question, hope they come out.

Attached Files:

5. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gebr. Junghans - very scarse clock.

Disc Pendulum with Balls on Scales.

6. Weight Driven

NAWCC Member

May 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    thanks Sam. Looks like I won't be able to find an original pendulum.

7. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    WD, I'm attaching a photo below of the pendulum that normally goes with your clock. As others have already pointed out these are quite scarce. Junghans "did" use at least one other design for their clocks, but it's even more rare than this one and I don't have a photo of it.

I would suggest you find a disc pendulum with gallery, of about any description and put it with your clock. Maybe some day the correct one will show up.

Also, for my research info, could you post the serial number of the movement? I can't quite make it out from your photo.

John Hubby
    >>>>

Attached Files:

8. Weight Driven

NAWCC Member

May 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    HI John. For your records, the serial number is 27068. Thanks again everyone for your help.

9. Michael Davies

Michael Davies Registered User

Nov 29, 2005
    Country Flag:
    I wonder if my Plate 1625 Junghans (1910?) has one of the "rare" pendulums John is referring to - pictures below; this one is not in the Terwilliger Guide. Serial number is 32843. The beat is set, as John says, by rotating the anchor pin collet around its pinion, and it is regulated by turning the upper pendulum disc which raises or lowers the pendulum balls on the central shaft.

Michael Davies.

Attached Files:

10. kepiting1sg

kepiting1sg Registered User

Jun 19, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Hello Michael,

You sure did a fast job cleaning up your clock :clap:

Mine just come in through the post yesterday.
    Serial number: 31971

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

11. Michael Davies

Michael Davies Registered User

Nov 29, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Hi KP - I knew you had the other one! I got mine a few days earlier, and being retired from full-time work has the wonderful advantage of allowing time to be my own to use as I wish!

The wooden base insert in mine was so woodworm-riven it practically crumbled as I removed it, but all else was fine. The Book says a .004 suspension wire is right, but I found it wasn't and I needed to use a .0045 only very slightly thinned.

I will be very interested to hear John H's views on both the pendulums and the clock manufacturing dates in due course.

12. kepiting1sg

kepiting1sg Registered User

Jun 19, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Hi Michael,

How I wish I can retired like you and have more time to work on my clocks.:thumb:

I guess both of us were chasing these 2 clocks over eBay because of the interesting pendulum on them. ;)