Installing e-clips

CopterGene

Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
Trying to install an e-clip on a center wheel arbor is frustrating me. I'm failing bigtime. Is there a tool that can help? Or perhaps there are more options to clips other than the e-clips that I purchased from Clockworks? I would suggest that I use a larger clip, but the clips I'm using are at least as large or perhaps a bit larger than the one that I took off of the arbor.

bruce linde

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i push them on w a flat-blade screwdriver... what tool are you using, and maybe a photo or two?

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
I have a miserable time with these. A couple of suggestions: (1) check with Butterworth Clocks and get some Hermle e-clips, both small and large. These are pretty good for many purposes. Then get an e-clip assortment from Timesavers.

These will provide you with lots of e-clips, which is helpful because I always drop the fool things on the floor with my hand tremor. I don't know of any e-clip tool that actually works, and I think I have all of them. One suggestion: buy a cheap tool demagnetizer from eBay (the sort that plugs in and produces an AC magnetic field.) Then de-magnetize all pliers and screwdrivers and tweezers that you'll be using to work with e-clips, because otherwise tools tend to grab and displace the clips at the worst possible times.

There is a set of screw-holding tweezers at Timesavers that occasionally help: Screw Holding Tweezers

You can use these to hold the e-clip level and slip it into the groove, after which you can finish snapping it on with a pair of demagnetized tweezers.

When things get bad enough I will simply tighten a loop of steel wire into the e-clip's groove by twisting the wire. I've done it only a few times.

Reactions: CopterGene

CopterGene

Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
Here is a picture of the center wheel. The place for the clip is the dark spot next to the plate. One of the e-clips is shown also.

Center wheel.jpg e-clip.jpg

CopterGene

Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
I've been using the nose of my needle nose pliers to push the clip onto the arbor with no success. I submitted an order for a selection of e-clips sizes 1/16 th inch to 3/4 inch. They should be here Monday. With about 10 sizes to choose from, I suspect I'll find a clip that will slip on the arbor relatively easily. Considering how hard I have been pushing clips trying to get one to slip onto the arbor, I must really need a larger clip. That's all I can figure.

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
Hemostats are good, but my cheap ones squirt parts out, occasionally hitting the wall ten feet away. That said, I would observe that your e-clip looks suspiciously Chinese or Korean, and that these are miserable to work with because they're usually soft and bendy. You may want to experiment with more Westernized e-clips that'll fit that shaft.

Mark Kinsler

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
Teaclocks:

Is that the Jonard? If so, does it have a model number on it? I have their model GS-1022, and I cannot get it to work. They're also expensive, but I'd pay it if the fool thing handled the clips.

Mark Kinsler

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I line them up where they go and hold them with a finger while pushing them on with the back side of tweezers or similar push device.

disciple_dan

Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
CopterGene, the clip you are using doesn't look like a good one for that application. What happened to the original? Look at the one in Teaclocks post (#7). I think that style clip would work much better. Just a thought, Danny

CopterGene

Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
I think you are right disciple_dan. The one Teaclocks posted looks more like the original. The ones that I have have no flexibility at all. Hopefuly, the ones that I ordered and are arriving Monday will have a little give. Here's a picture showing the old clip (the small one) and the new clip. They are both less than 8mm in diameter.

e-clips.jpg

CopterGene

Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
Timesavers sells a "split e-clip washer" and a "split tension washer". As a novice, without prior knowledge, I went with the split e-clip washers, but they simply are not working for my application. The split tension washer looks more like something that will work in my case. Monday will tell.

So, like everything else in my life, I learn by making a mistake first. I think the tool that Teaclocks uses would be a very handy tool. Sorry he doesn't know where he got it.

Reactions: disciple_dan

Peter John

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2018
Scottsdale, Arizona
Country
Region
I believe that the original (smaller?) eclip is not a push on. It is meant to be opened enough to get it in place in the slot and then pinched shut. That clip is not made of springy material. The top clip is a push on. You can see see that it has guides to line it up with the slot in the arbor and the pushed into place. Even if you managed to get the lower one in the slot it would be very loose and probably fall out unless you pinched it shut. Peter

CopterGene

Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
Thanks to all for your input. I ordered the Jonard Clip Setter from, Techni-Tool, Inc. It is the tool that Teaclocks talked about in his post (with pictures). With that tool and both e-clips and c-clips, I hope to make some progress later in the week.

So much to learn.

CopterGene

Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
I have another question. Is there a science to selecting the size clip to use? Or is it trial and error? Do you mic the arbor, or whatever, to determine its diameter and then select a clip that matches that size?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I use the trial and error system, but after a few hundred clocks your eye will become pretty good at determining the right size.

Reactions: roughbarked

CopterGene

Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
There is no way any other than the correct size will fit. So yes a little judicious measuring never goes astray.
CS-1022
Amazon
I'm measuring, but still not getting a clip to budge when I try to install one. I assume Seth Thomas arbors are sized in inches. My supply of e-clips are in metric. Can that really be an issue when I'm working with e-clips in the small size range used in clocks?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
They sometimes take a little effort to push them on, but anything close should work.

CopterGene

Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
Finally, some success. With much effort, I got a clip started using hemostats and finally got the clip fully on using the nose of my needle nose pliers. A little success to give me the sense that it can really be done (by me). Also, the Jonard CS-1022 clip setter didn't actually work for me. I'm also concerned about the amount of force that it took to get the clip on. With the amount of force that I had to use, one slip could possibly damage other parts of the movement.

Reactions: roughbarked

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If it's on, all is good ;)

CopterGene

Oct 4, 2020
Country
Region
I bought the Jonard and it works great for e-clips. Haven’t tried it on others.
Just curious, how long ago did you buy your Jonard clip tool? The one I purchased (CS-1022) doesn't look exactly like the one pictured in Teaclocks post above. His looks like it would be very effective. Does yours look like his?

D.th.munroe

Donor
Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
I just use hemostats as well. I have a whole set of these Benzing KG Stuttgart e-clip tools but don't use them.
These pliers look interesting.

16060047837495604535084988856356.jpg

Old Rivers

NAWCC Member
Oct 4, 2016
North Texas
Country
Region
I just use hemostats as well. I have a whole set of these Benzing KG Stuttgart e-clip tools but don't use them.
These pliers look interesting.

View attachment 623569
Interesting pliers design, I have used other tools from this supplier and their quality is excellent. While I haven't used this E-ring pliers, it seems that they would be less than ideal working with an E-clip which fits very close to a plate or other surface. The plier handles would prevent correctly orienting the tip of the pliers with the clip for removal or installation. The Jonard tool's design avoids the handle interference. I just received my Jonard tool. While I haven't used it yet it seems to be a well-built, clever design.

Bill

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment