Installing a round Ansonia movement

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Bill Cann, May 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bill Cann

Bill Cann Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 26, 2019
    Recently finished a round Ansonia Brocot movement and the slate case. The case has round cutouts on front and back. In spite of tightening the mounting screws, the movement slightly rotates when winding and puts the movement out of beat. Is there a "preferred" way of securing the movement? Glues, epoxies, etc seem excessive.

Thanks, Bill

IMG_2635 copy.jpg IMG_1649.JPG

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have been using a large thin O-ring between the dial and the case. Works great and you don't have to over-tighten the mounting screws.

Uhralt

3. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Double-sided tape can work well also but it is tricky to adjust while rotating the movement into beat. You need to get it set and then slowly tighten the mounting screws while checking to make sure the movement is still in beat. The O-Ring suggested by Uhrait works well, but you also have to be careful not to over-tighten. Fortunately, it doesn't take much to get the O-Ring to hold fast. Good luck with it.

4. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    If you don't have it tightened down enough it will move

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yep. But I kinda like Uhralt's O ring idea. Takes a little of the stress off the mounting brackets.

6. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great idea! I'll have to remember that.

RC

7. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Really and how readily available are these O rings

8. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    At hardware stores. I get mine at the local ACE. And, this is completely reversible. I've got the idea when I stripped the thread on one of my French clocks due to over-tightening. This clock got out of beat almost every time when I wound it, so I tightened harder and harder. With the O-ring, no problem anymore.

Uhralt

9. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I use two tiny dots of E-6000 craft adhesive at each side. It's easy enough to remove when necessary and I've never had one slip yet.

I like the O-ring idea but, in that diameter, it's going to be pretty thick. A thin flat rubber gasket would be much better. And, a flat gasket would stay in place, if it had to be cut to fit. Willie X

10. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    O ring cord is available in various materials including foam and can be cut to length. Never tried to join the stuff but I would expect the foam variety would compress to a pretty thin layer.

RC

11. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I could get pretty thin large O-rings, with a diameter of about 1 mm. I think they are similar to the ones used in some cuckoo clocks to drive the music box. the foam might also work very well if it is easily compressible.

Uhralt

12. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have used an O-Ring once in a Seth Thomas "Tampa". It worked well, but as I mentioned, you have to be careful not to over tighten the mounting ring. I think that the bezel can be made to flex so that it won't snap shut properly. Fortunately one only needs to back off the fasteners to get the bezel fit back to normal.

I obtained the right size here: The O-Ring Store, We make getting O-Rings easy! but I have some "extras" which may or may not fit when I need another one. I like Willie's suggestion. You don't have to stock different sizes.

13. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would think you would want thin O ring material and make your own. A little super glue will attach the ends firmly, but for this application you probably could use it without connecting the ends. I haven't tried this, but still like the idea ;)