American PW Install New York Standard Mainspring Barrel Cover

Lee02

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2012
The cover will not snap back in place for a 16 size New York Standard pocket watch made in the late 1890’s.

I didn’t have trouble removing it while taking the watch apart for cleaning. Yet, now that I want to put the watch back together, the cover tends to stay higher on one side or the other as I try to push the cover back into the barrel. So, the cover stays loose! The arbor fits nicely in the barrel and there isn’t any dirt in the recess in the barrel for the cover to fit into. Nor is the mainspring higher than the barrel. Granted that many New York Standard watches are not good quality, but this watch is better than most. If I cannot solve this problem with the cover, I will have to buy a NYS parts watch for its mainspring barrel.

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
Not uncommon.... You probably need to push harder. If you have any doubts, remove the spring and arbor and test fit the lid.

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
The cover will not snap back in place for a 16 size New York Standard pocket watch made in the late 1890’s.

I didn’t have trouble removing it while taking the watch apart for cleaning. Yet, now that I want to put the watch back together, the cover tends to stay higher on one side or the other as I try to push the cover back into the barrel. So, the cover stays loose! The arbor fits nicely in the barrel and there isn’t any dirt in the recess in the barrel for the cover to fit into. Nor is the mainspring higher than the barrel. Granted that many New York Standard watches are not good quality, but this watch is better than most. If I cannot solve this problem with the cover, I will have to buy a NYS parts watch for its mainspring barrel.
Lets assume all is correct in regard to components and assembly.

Unfortunately, New York standard construction is lighter with lesser quality materials than say a Elgin, Waltham etc. Under these conditions, friction fits loose their friction very rapidly when disturbed and generally donor parts have all the same issues when considered for replacement. The only time I work on this type watch is when a good customer asks in a way that one can not say no. With issues such as this, I generally repair the part with this specific repair as follows.

(1) I first machine a pocket in a pot collet to hold the barrel attached photo.

(2) I then hold the lid seated in place with a bushing and live center again attached photo. In this case, a scrap motor pulley worked out perfect.

(3) From this point, the barrel lip is lightly rolled back into its original position with a roller and slow spindle rotation. Repair is invisible.

For quick illustration, components in the photo were simply set in place to give the general idea.

Jerry Kieffer

fullsizeoutput_669.jpeg

Lee02

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions! I always appreciate the way we help each other in the Forums.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maintainthestatusquo
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner