Inherited Dutch Clock

Corne van Graan

Jan 18, 2020
Country
Hi
I inherited this Antique Dutch clock from an aunt of mine. It doesn't seem to be running, and I would love to get your opinion on how to get it started again. It's got multiple pulleys and weights, which is not connected. I am not a clock collector and do not have any experience with antique clocks. I would appreciate it if anyone has a online manual or instructions to get this beautiful piece working again. Clock.jpg

oxblood2

Mar 4, 2008
Looks to be a nice old Stoelklok. Try and post some photos from the sides of the case and movement.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
This inquiry was posted elsewhere as well. I have deleted the second post so that discussion can be held in one place to avoid confusion.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Goslink Ruempol was a very well-known clock maker working in Laren in the first half of the 18th century. If this is really a clock by him, then it is a rare find indeed.

However, reproductions of these clocks have been made over the centuries and it would be good to see more photographs and particularly photos of the movement ('the works').

JTD

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Yes, this clock appears to be a nice antique. But we really need more pics.

A couple years ago I went into a house of an older couple from the Netherlands. The fellow had a very similar clock running, as well as a couple other clocks. But this is the clock that stood out to me. His was certainly old, and had similar dial paint to your clock. Very impressive larger size, and interesting to see if running.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
I smiled at an online instruction manual but it looks like it needs two weights, one for the going train, as in time, and one for the striking train to provide power to run. Perhaps google stoelklok which oxblood2 suggested it is or someone else will provide more info.

oxblood2

Mar 4, 2008
image.jpg
These clock are very simple to understand how they work. There is a very nice and helpful parts man on EBay. Antiquedutchclockparts is his store name. Henri has been very helpful to me.
Robin
Most of the old stoelkloks have one heavy weight to run the time and the strike on a continuous chain , or in your case rope, that is held on pulley, with a lead counterweight donut. Looks like I see one of the alarm weights that would have a smaller cone shaped counter weight

Last edited:

Corne van Graan

Jan 18, 2020
Country
As requested, I have taken a few more pictures from the side... With online manual I meant a modern instruction book, or guide on antique clocks, and not my specific clock manual.;) I have also included the weights and pendulum. Thanks for helping so far.

Clock.jpg IMG_2060.jpg IMG_2061.jpg IMG_2062.jpg IMG_2063.jpg IMG_2064.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Thank you for posting further photos. From what I can see, your clock does indeed look old and not a modern reproduction, although I am not expert enough to say if it may be a genuine Goslink Ruempol.

I thhink that this clock is worth further research. I suggest you send an email, with your photos, to Luitzen Tasma in Holland. The Tasma family has been making these traditional Dutch clocks since 1750 and Luitzen is the 7th generation to carry on the craft. He is a very kind and helpful man and you can write to him in English. His address is: tasma@valutaklokken.nl

I am sure that he would be able to give you a lot of information and may be able to identify the maker.

Let us know how you get on.

JTD

Reactions: Corne van Graan

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
I inherited this Antique Dutch clock from an aunt of mine. It doesn't seem to be running, and I would love to get your opinion on how to get it started again. It's got multiple pulleys and weights, which is not connected. I am not a clock collector and do not have any experience with antique clocks. I would appreciate it if anyone has a online manual or instructions to get this beautiful piece working again. 484418-d8b0ddb1de9f0a9c83746b463577f0c5.jpg
Hi, Corne,
Congratulations on your clock, and thanks for posting additional pictures.

If you do an internet search for goslink ruempol laren as shown at the top of the dial, you can learn more about clockmaker Goslink Ruempol from Laren, and you may be able to tell more about the set up from pictures included in the results. From your second and third pictures, it appears that there is some tape on the rope, so you might need to find a different solution before running the clock. I did see one reference online to a book on Dutch clocks that includes schematics. You can also search this message board for stoelklok or Dutch clock to look for additional pictures and information.

Good luck with your new clock!

Corne van Graan

Jan 18, 2020
Country
Hi, Corne,
Congratulations on your clock, and thanks for posting additional pictures.

If you do an internet search for goslink ruempol laren as shown at the top of the dial, you can learn more about clockmaker Goslink Ruempol from Laren, and you may be able to tell more about the set up from pictures included in the results. From your second and third pictures, it appears that there is some tape on the rope, so you might need to find a different solution before running the clock. I did see one reference online to a book on Dutch clocks that includes schematics. You can also search this message board for stoelklok or Dutch clock to look for additional pictures and information.

Good luck with your new clock!
Thanks a lot. My search only got to auction sites etc.... will delve a bit deeper

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
With regard to the weights: Because this clock is rope driven, each weight needs a counter weight in order to prevent the ropes from slipping. The big weight drives the time and strike trains of the clock and needs to hang on the pulley. The weight next to it seems to be the counterweight. The next smaller weight is for the alarm, and the smallest weight is the counter weight for that.

Uhralt

Corne van Graan

Jan 18, 2020
Country
Th
Thank you for posting further photos. From what I can see, your clock does indeed look old and not a modern reproduction, although I am not expert enough to say if it may be a genuine Goslink Ruempol.

I thhink that this clock is worth further research. I suggest you send an email, with your photos, to Luitzen Tasma in Holland. The Tasma family has been making these traditional Dutch clocks since 1750 and Luitzen is the 7th generation to carry on the craft. He is a very kind and helpful man and you can write to him in English. His address is: tasma@valutaklokken.nl

I am sure that he would be able to give you a lot of information and may be able to identify the maker.

Let us know how you get on.

JTD
Thanks for the advice... I did send him a e-mail... Unfortunately this was his reply:

Dear Sir,

Your request is no part of our business.
We are manufacturer and wholesale company in Frisian Clock parts.
Maby a clockmaker or clock-club can help you.

Met vriendelijke groet,

VALUTA FRIESE KLOK FOURNITUREN

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Th

Thanks for the advice... I did send him a e-mail... Unfortunately this was his reply:

Dear Sir,

Your request is no part of our business.
We are manufacturer and wholesale company in Frisian Clock parts.
Maby a clockmaker or clock-club can help you.

Met vriendelijke groet,

VALUTA FRIESE KLOK FOURNITUREN
Well, I am very surprised indeed. It is not the sort of reply I had expected - I would not have suggested you write if so. I am sorry that I gave you misleading information - but although it is a long time since I have corresponded with them, they have always been helpful in the past. I cannot help wondering if someone new is dealing with their mails.

Now I will try to see if I can find another person to help you.

JTD

JB

NAWCC Member
Dec 27, 2006
Country
Region
I would try here ..Home - mnuurwerk.nl
Well, I am very surprised indeed. It is not the sort of reply I had expected - I would not have suggested you write if so. I am sorry that I gave you misleading information - but although it is a long time since I have corresponded with them, they have always been helpful in the past. I cannot help wondering if someone new is dealing with their mails.

Now I will try to see if I can find another person to help you.

JTD

Reactions: Corne van Graan

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Although this little video is for electric winding it shows you how the line goes through the clock for a Huygens loop.

The doughnuts mentioned earlier are threaded on the rope or chain, you don't have that so you need pulleys on the rope. (you don't show them but I guess they are already there. One of the big rope pulleys should be on a ratchet (click) the other fixed to the other greatwheel (the toothed gear wheel next to it)

You can check which is which. the big weight goes on a loop hanging between the fixed and rotating so that it is held by the click. The small weight on the other loop. To wind you pull down on the small weight side to rotate with the click. The big weight will then rise.

The alarm side does not have this, it uses the smallest two weights on that thinner cord you have hooked up in the movement. Here you pull down on the small weight and the large weight rises, again there is a click. When the alarm is set off the big weight falls until the small weight gets to the top and the alarm stops.

As suggested you want to make sure whatever is under that taped join is sound or you could have the big weight falling and damaging your floor.

Reactions: PatH

P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
The Netherlands
Country
Hello Corne, just saw this thread. First a greeting from the Netherlands and after that my congratulations on you clock!!! As far as I can see and judge by the pictures, you have a real genuine Ruempol clock. All the tiny details which tell if its genuine or not are there and tell me this clock was made by Ruempol. I cannot comment on the wooden stool, for that I need to se the back of it. These clocks are very sought after here in the Netherlands and even today fetch very high prices when in auction. As a matter of fact, when I was young, back in 1983, I made me a replica of the very same clock because I like them very much but to buy me an original was way out of my budget :) Once again CONGRATULATIONS!

Jim Duncan

NAWCC Member
May 31, 2011
Central Coast of California
Country
Region
Perhaps I missed it earlier in the thread, but a fine book for this clock and other Dutch clocks is "Dutch Antique Domestic Clocks" by Dr J.L. Sellink. Best of all it is in English (best for many of us at least). As a member of NAWCC you could borrow a copy from the library (by mail), or you can buy them online from various sources.

The section on Laren or Ruempol clocks begins on page 164 and is well illustrated. Enjoy your inheritance!
Jim

PS: I think perhaps you are in South Africa, so maybe the loan of the book from NAWCC won't work in that case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phil Jensen
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre