Inherited a Waltham Vanguard Pocket Watch

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by dlb1254, Aug 15, 2019 at 1:45 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dlb1254

dlb1254 New Member

Thursday
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I inherited a Waltham pocket watch. I am trying to find out some information about it such as age. I have attached some pictures. I hope some one can help me. Thanks!

Watcha.jpg watchb.jpg watchc.jpg watchd.jpg

pmwas, musicguy and Lee Passarella like this.
  2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Hi and welcome to the NAWCC Forum!

You have a very nice looking Waltham, Grade: Vanguard, Made in approx. 1945
    (http://nawccinfo.nawcc.org/walscans/BookGray/gp111n31361001_32474000.pdf)
    This high quality 16 size, 23 jewel watch would have been approved to be used in railroad service.

If you do not know it's service history you should have it serviced
    before you use it. It's like a car needing an oil change.

Rob

Lee Passarella likes this.
  3. dlb1254

dlb1254 New Member

Thursday
    Male
    Country Flag:
  4. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Can post a better picture of the entire movement(the works)

Try taking the photos outside where there is a lot of light. Even in the shade
    outside the lighting is better.

Rob

5. dlb1254

dlb1254 New Member

Thursday
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Here are 2 more pictures taken outside with my phone. Not sure they are better. watche.jpg watchf.jpg

viclip likes this.
  6. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Again thanks for sharing your inherited watch.
    You should make some notes(and keep them with the watch) of who owned it before you
    so that when you give it to someone in your family
    they will have the family history of the watch.

Hopefully you will catch the pocket watch collecting bug from
    getting this watch. I do have to warn you
    that once you go down this road of collecting there is no cure.

Rob

7. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Hi dlb1254:

Please add my welcome to Rob's.

To add to the good information posted by him:

Please excuse me if I repeat some of what you already know, it's easier for me this way. Checking the references listed in the "Waltham Watches" Encyclopedia article (and looking at your pictures), Waltham movement serial number 32,058.020 can be seen to be
    a 16-size,
    model A,
    grade 1623 Vanguard,
    Adjusted to Temperature (Heat & Cold), Five Positions and Isochronism: 8 Adjustments,
    lever-set,
    open-face movement,
    having 23 jewels,
    and a Patent Regulator.
    It was built in March, 1945. This was built during World War II, see the Encyclopedia article entitled "The Standard Watch in World War II" to learn more about railroad watch production during the war.

Your Watch Case is gold-filled and was made for Waltham by the Keystone Watch Case Co.

You can see a catalog description of the 1623 Vanguard grade on the 1938-1939 Montgomery Ward catalog page (below).

Your watch is a railroad watch, one that was widely accepted into railroad time service at the time it was built.

Unless you know that it has been properly cleaned and oiled within the last few years, you should have the watch serviced before running it very much. It may be helpful for you to read the Encyclopedia article on Watch Service and its related links, especially the one to the message board thread on the subject. The Encyclopedia article on Choosing a Pocket Watch Repair Person may be useful as well.

Having gathered and printed out information about a family watch, it is a wise idea to write out as much as you know about the family member to whom the watch originally belonged - or as far back as you can go, including (and clearly identifying) what you can guess. Then, add the names and relationships of the family members who passed it down to the current holder. Make up a booklet with this and all of the watch information and try to keep it with the watch. You might even include a CD or, better yet, a USB thumb drive with copies of the pictures or information, in addition to the printouts. Even though they may not be readable 100 years from now, some more recent descendent may transfer the files to the then current format and media. This way, the watch has real family heritage instead of it just being an old family watch, the identity and relationship of the original owner having been lost in the distant past.

Unfortunately, many of the links in our Encyclopedia articles were disrupted when we changed to the current version of our Message Board and its been a long process getting them all reinstated. So, if you come across a broken link and want to see what it led to, just let us know and we'll try and post it.

Please feel free to ask about anything that isn't clear to you.

Good luck,

1938-1939_MW.jpg

pmwas, viclip and musicguy like this.
  8. dlb1254

dlb1254 New Member

Thursday
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Rob and Kent for the wealth of information. I will be sure I log everything I know on this watch and keep it with it.