Inherited a Tavannes, don't know model please help!

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Demarkee727, Nov 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Demarkee727

Demarkee727 Registered User

Nov 28, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Hi I inherited a WWII era Tavannes watch and interestingly there are almost no markings or indicators on the timepiece itself. I'm including pictures here, the watch is beautiful and has a dark brown leather band and a gold face and gold back. There is a horse shoe emblem on the buckle of the watch and no markings at all on the back. On the back of the leather band it says "genuine alligator 11/18." I did some cursory research and didn't see anything.

I know people tend to post and abandon their thread but I am very intent on learning more about this beautiful antique! Thank you in advance.

2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Welcome to the NAAWCC forum!

Moving to wrist watch section.

Rob

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

Please remove the back and post photos of the movement, and also any marks there may be on the inside of the back.

JTD

4. Demarkee727

Nov 28, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Hi, I will youtube how to remove the back, but could you please provide some tips / instruction as well? I've never removed the back, is there a chance the back will not be able to reattach to the watch? I'm really not a horologist. Thank you for your help!

5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    If you look closely you will probably see a very small place between the back and the case where a thin small blade can be inserted and the back can then be prised off. If you and not sure how to do it, take it to a watchmaker and ask him to remove the back for you. Take photos of the movement before you replace the back.

You watch seems to be missing the little knob at the side (crown) that you use to wind it, so you would need a watchmaker's help if you want to return this watch to usable condition.

JTD

6. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Demarkee727,

That buckle has an Omega emblem on it, which is the trademark of a different, and more famous, watch company, so that doesn't belong with your watch.

The dial, and hence probably also the movement, has rotated in the case, possibly because the winding stem is missing, so that will certainly need to be attended to by a watchmaker as JTD has suggested. The movement should normally be held in the case by a couple of internal screws, so they may also be loose or missing. The 3 o'clock marker should be aligned with the winding crown.

The style of the dial and case suggest a date sometime in the 1940s or 50s and the lugs, where the strap is attached, are quite distinctive and attractive, so it will make a very wearable wristwatch if you can have it restored.

Regards,

Graham

7. Weight Driven

Weight Driven Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    that watch looks like it could easily be solid gold. Better check the inside back cover.

8. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
  9. Demarkee727

Nov 28, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Thank you all for your help! I was able to remove the back and the inscription 12-22-54 was there as well as a signature I couldn't make out. On the back it said "18k 0750" and 88761. Pictures to follow.

10. Demarkee727

Nov 28, 2019
    Country Flag:
  11. Demarkee727

Nov 28, 2019
    Country Flag:
    I apologise for the many duplicate photos, I am uploading from a phone. The movement is beautiful and I was able to readjust the movement inside the case.

12. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Does look like the Cyma 162.

13. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Demarkee727,

Your pictures show that the back of the watch is 18 carat gold, with legitimate Swiss hallmarks confirming this. The key mark with what looks like '29' in it is a 'poinçon de maître' or case maker's mark for Weber & Cie. SA in Geneva. However, the case band is stamped 'metal', which means that it isn't gold but plated base metal, a fairly common combination, since the back of the watch, being next to the wearer's skin, needed to be more resistant to corrosion.

Regards,

Graham

14. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    A nice watch and worth repairing. You need a watchmaker to replace the winding stem/crown. That wouldn't be cheap, but it's an heirloom and I would wear it, so I would get it repaired if it were mine.

JTD

Kevin W. likes this.
  15. RL

RL Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Tavannes and Cyma = same brand

Kevin W. likes this.
  16. Tomxhar

Tomxhar Registered User

Sep 2, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
  17. Demarkee727

Nov 28, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Thank you all for replying with such informative responses. This is truly helping me understand a family heirloom and your input is so helpful.

Is this watch unique or is there anything special about this watch that would differentiate from others of the same time period?
    Is there a serial number on the watch where I can do further research or perhaps contact Tavannes?
    Lastly does the 12-22-54 indicate the manufacture date or was this watch made on a different date?

Thank you all so much.

All the best.

18. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    No.

The mark scratched on the back cover was done by a watch repairer.

JTD

19. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    As referred in my post #8;

Remarks
    differences not known between 162, 163

family:
    162, 163: sub second
    166, 167: sweep second
    suffix K, Ka: shock device

Example, year: signature; shock device
    ca. 1945: 125544, Cyma, Swiss Made, 15 Jewels
    (Cyma 166Ka with shock protection, sweep second)