inherited a dennison pocket watch

steven-78

Aug 12, 2012
hi guys
i recently inherited a dennison pocket watch and iv been trying to get some info on it if you could help
on the inside of the back plate i have a 9 in a box which i think is 9 carrot
an anchor in a box ?
an L in a box ?
.375 in a box ?
eclipse written in the middle of the back plate
ALD in a box ?
and i think the serial number 31388
i have been looking and i cant find any info photo 2.jpg

Attachments

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi,

Welcome.

The case, not the watch, was made by the Dennison Company in Birmingham, UK. The anchor signifies the Birmingham Assay Office, the .375 means 9 carat gold, (you're spot on there!), the letter "L" if it's upper-case, is the date letter for 1935, (if it's lower-case, it's 1910; the picture isn't quite clear in this area). From the style of the dial and movement, I'd say 1935 is more likely. The "ALD" is the maker's registered mark "Aaron Lufkin Dennison", and the other mark above the "Dennison" should be a crown as a guarantee of quality, showing that it's been assayed in an approved office. "Eclipse" is the model name of the case. The "31388" is the case serial number, and probably isn't greatly significant.

The movement is a Swiss Cyma; I'll leave other more knowledgeable members to comment on this.

Regards

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Hi steven-78:

Welcome to the NAWCC European & Other Pocket Watches Message Board!

You may find a little more information about your watch case in the Dennison Watch Case Co. Encyclopedia article.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mzhang19
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre