Inheirited Elgin Watch

Titan4

Mar 1, 2015
Hawaii
Country
Region
Hi Stan, thank you for your inquiry! Yes, Doug did service the watch. He completely disassembled it, cleaned it, lubricated it and it runs like, well, the beautiful watch that it is! He did take pictures of the service but they don't seem to be on his blog anymore.

Doug is a very accomplished watchmaker. I would trust him with this or any other watch in the future.
Thank you Kathy. When my mother passed away in 2013 we found a nice pocket watch that we never knew existed. We don't know if it was a family piece or if it was something my dad (who passed in 2000) bought at a garage sale at some point. It is an Elgin Pansy (Grade 109) with a purple Pansy on the dial and one engraved on the barrel bridge. According to the serial number it was made in 1897/1898. At the time I thought I had a crazy valuable watch, but now know that it isn't! Lol. It didn't run, but was able to get it serviced and repaired and now runs great. I knew next to nothing about watches at the time, but have since watched hundreds of watch servicing/repair videos from the many YouTubers out there. If it weren't such an investment in tools and equipment, I would do it as a hobby. I should say "try" it. I probably wouldn't have the skills for such small and delicate parts.
Enjoy your work of art and treasure it while you can.

20220718_162612.jpg 20220718_162359.jpg

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I think it's great, and not very common (at all) to see!

At the time I thought I had a crazy valuable watch
Glad it's working(repaired) and to me as an Elgin collector it is what you say,
even though it's not valued that way on the market.

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyB821
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Ptolemy's Course of the Planets displayed by CLockwork by Tom McIntyre