American Ingraham

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by TimeafterTime, Mar 18, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TimeafterTime

TimeafterTime Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Male
    Clock Repair
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi folks,

I got this in for repair and I would like to identify for my customer if possible. It's not listed in my Ingraham book 1st edition. It measures 16" x 10". If anyone can identify this mantel clock, i'd appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch

DSCN1893 Ingraham.JPG

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Am I correct in assuming that there is no label, even a partial label, but that the movement is an Ingraham? Does the movement have an adjustable pendulum? I see no way to regukate the speed through the dial. Can you post pictures of the movement?

3. TimeafterTime

NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Male
    Clock Repair
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

There's no label. The movement is marked as Ingraham. I can post a picture of the movement later today. The movement is your typical time and strike kitchen clock movement.

4. TimeafterTime

NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Male
    Clock Repair
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Steven, here are a couple of pictures of the movement.

DSCN1894.JPG DSCN1896.JPG

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Interesting. The movement is mounted to the backboard, I presume. Not what I would have expected in a clock of this kind. If all parts are original to one another, the clock would seem to pre-date the development of the thumbwheel regulator, which Ingraham patented in 1885.

The pendulum bob must be adjustable, but I confess it looks very hard to get to. Of course, that is quite possibly why Ingraham patented the thumbwheel regulator - no need for an adjustable pendulum bob; simply use the thumbwheel.

6. Jim Hartog

Jim Hartog Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 6, 2010
    house husband
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello,

Those blocks glued into the dial pan hole for dial screws look like a retro fit. Might this be a European case with an American movement?

Jim

7. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree with Jim. That case looks European. Reminds me a lot of a Junghans I had.

8. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree it looks like a German case, the blocks holding the dial look like a piece of moulding that has been cut to suit, also I doubt the screwing into end grain will last so be careful not to try and screw the dial back on to tight.