Ingraham "Trail Blazer" Dollar Watch

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Bila, Apr 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bila

Bila Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    #1 Bila, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Just wondering if anyone has seen these and if so was there other versions then the "wings over the pole" of Byrd's Antarctic Expedition. This is the only one listed in the pocket watch guide, but I am sure I have seen the "around the world" Graf Zeppelin Trail Blazer?

Was there a series of these made for different events, and if so does anyone know which events they were made for?

2. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Country Flag:
    #2 Fred Hansen, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    There's three Ingraham watches commemorating Byrd's accomplishments that I know of ...

• "The Explorer" marked on dial along with a plane image, case back is marked with "Wings Over the Pole". (I don't have a picture handy for one of these)

• The "Trail Blazer" which is marked as such on the rear of the case along with a "Commemorating Byrd's Antarctic Expedition" marking on the case back. It's dial has a plane image. (Pics from a completed Jones-Horan auction)
    30168_a.jpg

30168_e.jpg

• "Little America" marked on dial along with an image of the globe featuring the South Pole, rear of case marked "Byrd's Expedition to Little America" along with a plane image as well as a ship and two explorers pulling a sled. (Pics from a completed Jones-Horan auction)
    30018_a.jpg

30018_c.jpg

I don't think any of the Byrd watches have any reference to the Graf Zeppelin, the watch I remember seeing with Graf Zeppelin image is by Westclox and is marked "Zep". (Pic from a completed Jones-Horan auction)

dd2_a.jpg

3. Bila

Bila Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Fred, I have a "Zep" in a standard type case but I come across one with "Trail blazers" in large font across the back with all modes of transport pictured plus the "Graf Zeppelin" image same as the dial image on the back as well. I know Westclox made a "Zep" and also a "Trail Blazer" seen both, but I have never seen one like the one I come across the other day. Maybe Westclox made a Trail Blazer series as well, but in saying this why do you not see more of them around I wonder?.

4. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's a pic of the case of my Trail Blazers Zep (white dial version). The front has the primary cities of the Graf Zeppelin's round the world trip in 1929. The back commemorates that trip at the top and the round the world trip of the Magellan which took about 3 years at the bottom. Hope this helps.

Zep front 2.JPG Zep back 4.JPG Zep movement 2.JPG

5. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    New York to Paris Lindbergh Ingraham commemorative watch from about the same era - not the best condition, but it gives you an idea.

DSC03744.JPG DSC03746.JPG DSC03748.JPG

6. Bila

Bila Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Pat, that Zep is the same as the one I came across the other day, marked Identical, interesting that they used the "Trail Blazer" on theirs as well. Also interesting that they had 2 versions of the "Zep" one in the standard plain case and the other in the specially marked case.

7. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is my example of the N.Y. To Paris Lindbergh watch with fob

DSCN6631.JPG DSCN6627.JPG DSCN6628.JPG DSCN6626.JPG

and the Trailblazer Commemorating Byrd's Antarctic Expedition in a very worn case

DSCN6630.JPG DSCN6629.JPG DSCN6626.JPG

PatH likes this.
  8. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've never seen the black dial Trailblazer. Thanks for sharing!

Here's the black dial Lindbergh and a fob.

Ingraham Lindbergh black dial.JPG Ingraham Lindbergh fob.JPG

9. PatH

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    And The Explorer.

Ingraham Explorer.JPG Ingraham Explorer back.JPG Ingraham Explorer movement.JPG

10. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for sharing these watches, very interesting, I like them.

Rob