Ingraham Tontine

David Graley

Oct 13, 2016
I have recently seen a restored Ingraham Tontine, and the restorer filled in the incised carvings with gold paint. He claims this is per the original. Has anyone ever seen a Tontine such as this?

Chris.K

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2021
Country
Region
I have recently seen a restored Ingraham Tontine, and the restorer filled in the incised carvings with gold paint. He claims this is per the original. Has anyone ever seen a Tontine such as this?
A pic would be nice so we can see what you are talking about.. Chris.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I have never seen this type of wooden clock with such carvings being filled with gold paint, and I don't believe this was original.

However, I am not very much experienced in American clocks, so others may know better.

JTD

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I agree with JTD that the gold paint is not original. The link below shows a post with the Tontine in my collection. It shows no indication of ever having had gold paint in the incising. The same post, however, has a copy of the 1885 catalogue illustration from Tran Duy Ly's book on Ingraham clocks. The illustration of the Tontine shows the incising in a lighter color. My belief is that the illustrator did that to bring out better the incising, rather than to suggest it was gold painted.

Ingraham Clocks | NAWCC Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stems
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-