American Ingraham + Pomeroy (?)

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by jere dorough, Sep 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jere dorough

jere dorough Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Recently bought an Ingraham 4-column shelf clock (17" x 10.75" x 5"); not shown in any of my old Ingraham catalogs. Has a good label with patent date of Dec 22, 1857 (for the door design?). The 8 day movement is unsigned but someone wrote N. Pomeroy on it! I hope that was done by some knowledgeable and helpful collector and not by some evil deceitful swindler.My questions are: what Ingraham model is this? Approx age? Is this really a Pomeroy movement? Any information would be appreciated.

ingraham 4 column.jpg ingrahan 4 column (1).jpg ingraham (pomeroy) 4 column.jpg ingraaham 4 column label.jpg

2. clocks4u

clocks4u Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 clocks4u, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    It looks like one of the Arch Column models ca. 1857. N. Pomeroy provided movements for Ingraham. Yours looks similar to the Pomeroy movement pictured on pg. 81 of Tran Duy Ly's Ingraham book.

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    An interesting clock. I can't remember seeing an arch column case quite like this; in fact, I'm not sure I would call it an arch column since the arch seems to be missing. I would say it has more in common with the empire style clock shown in Joyce Wahler's excellent article on Elias Ingraham & Co. in the February 2009 NAWCC Bulletin. See figure 9 on page 7. But, again, it is not an exact match. Howsoever, at least the gilt columns do not appear to have been touched up with gold "radiator" paint. Looking at the label, I suspect there is an "E." before Ingraham, or at least the remains of one. There is one very like it in Joyce Wahler's article. See fig. 20 on page 10. Here is a link to the article:

https://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/2000/articles/2009/378/378_4.pdf. The company name became E. Ingraham & Co. in January 1860.

As clocks4u said, the movement is, in fact, a Noah Pomeroy (unsigned, but many Pomeroy movements were not signed, for whatever reason). It is correct for the clock. Ingraham did not begin making their own movements until 1865. The Pomeroy movement taken with the company name on the label, your clock would seem to have been made between 1860 and 1865.

The December 22, 1857, patent mentioned on the label is one granted to Elias Ingraham for a clock front, in this case the figure-8 door.

USD 970 Figure 8 Door.pdf

Attached Files:

jere dorough likes this.
  4. jere dorough

jere dorough Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    thank you both for your helpful information. I found a copy of the feb 2009 bulletin.
    . great article! the back cover of that bulletin has a photo of 9 "column arch" clocks. in the middle row, right side is a match to the one i have. so there are at least 2 of them -

IMG_3639.jpg

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Absolutely! There it is. I need to turn the page - all the pages in fact :banghead:. Enjoy the clock. It's a keeper.

clocks4u likes this.