Ingraham Model and beat question

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Bruce Barnes, Oct 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Hopefully someone has an Ingraham catalog or book and might be able to identify this model.Also a beat problem with this clock, it stays in beat for about 270 degrees then out of beat then back in beat.ES wheel teeth are straight, pallets smooth, somewhere there is a tooth on a wheel with a burr or possibly a bent escape wheel that is difficult to see.
    Any thoughts/
    Regards,
    Bruce

ingraham.jpg

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    random thoughts (since you asked! :)):

i haven't really found situations were too much magnification was a bad thing... more might help here. do you have a microscope? a clip-on magnifier for your glasses (if you wear them)? something else?

i was also thinking the pin that holds the verge might be loose but it sounds like this is cyclic... which makes me think the escape wheel is not necessarily true. do you have a lathe? have you tried topping the escape wheel teeth ever-so-slightly to make sure they're dead even?

it could also be one escape wheel tooth that things trip on, could be a slightly worn bushing somewhere... video could also help by letting all see it doing whatever it's doing... there are some pretty sharp eyes on the MB.

3. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Thanks Bruce, my thought was also the escape wheel as nothing else turns that fast for 360 degrees.The strange thing is it runs well but then for a few seconds you hear that disconcerting sound.
    I will go back to the escape wheel and review.
    Regards,
    Bruce

4. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    #4 Willie X, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    I'm with bl.

If you can look at the e-wheel straight on, with magnification and a white card behind the wheel, you should see the bent tooth. I usually look for the defective tooth/teeth first, straighten them up, and then start comparing the space between the tips on all the teeth. Looking at groups of about 4 or 5 teeth at a time is good. It might take quite a while to do this. It's mostly looking, don't straighten anything until you are sure about what need to be done.

If your Ingraham has a strip deadbeat escapement, which many post 1900 Ingraham's do have, there is not much room for even a small defect in the escapement.

Good luck, WIllie X

5. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You don’t actually have to top the escape wheel teeth, but you could spin the escape wheel in a lathe and gently hold a piece of something against the spinning teeth to see if the sound is uneven... if it is, so are the teeth.

otoh, i’ve looked at ew teeth with my clip on magnifier and they’ve looked ok... but when i put them under the microscope it’s a whole new world.

6. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Good advice gentlemen, It never dawned on me to use a white card for surface clarity and flaw identification.
    Bruce

7. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    any thought on this clock and model?
    Thanks,
    Bruce

8. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Bruce B.

Your clock looks very similar to a model called the Amulet "Variant" from circa 1886. It's not an exact match as the sides are slightly different but the top looks like a match. Do a search on Ingraham Amulet Clock and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Something that you might try with your Escape Wheel is modeling clay. Take an imprint of several teeth and then rotate the wheel a few teeth at a time to see how they line up with the impressions left by the first set of teeth.

Good luck with it.

Bruce A